Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern (born in 1962 in Kyiv, Ukraine) is a historian, philologist and essayist, noted in particular for his studies of the institution of Cantonism, his critique of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's controversial two volume-work about Jews in Russia, "Two Hundred Years Together", as well as translations of Jorge Luis Borges' works into Russian. He teaches Early Modern, Modern and East European Jewish history and Culture at Northwestern University.
He holds a Ph.D. in Comparative Literature from Moscow University and a Ph.D. in Jewish history from Brandeis University. He has been a Rothschild Fellow at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, a Sensibar Visiting Professor at Spertus College in Chicago, a Visiting Scholar at Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, a Research Fellow at The National Endowment for the Humanities, in Poland, and a Fulbright Scholar at Kyiv Mohyla Academy in Kyiv.
Among his publications are more than 50 scholarly articles and such monographs as "Jews in the Russian Army, 1827-1917: Drafted into Modernity" (Cambridge University Press, 2009) and "The Anti-Imperial Choice: the Making of the Ukrainian Jew" (Yale University Press, 2009).
- Interview with Petrovsky-Shtern on "New Books in History"
- On the Orange Revolution in Ukraine- http://www.wumag.kiev.ua/index2.php?param=pgs20051/22
- On Jewish military service- 2008 YIVO encyclopedia http://www.yivoinstitute.org/downloads/Military_Service.pdf
- On social aspects of Hasidism- http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/jewish_social_studies/v010/10.2petrovsky-shtern.html
- The engimatic manuscript of an unknown Jewish kabbalist- http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FAJS%2FAJS28_02%2FS0364009404000157a.pdf&code=8d4dd0700d43ce62e5fb4dfe7e2a40f0[dead link]
- Theodore Weeks review of "Drafted into Modernity"- http://pipss.org/pdf/2313