Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Yavneh Day School|
| 14855 Oka Road, Suite 100|
Los Gatos, California, 95032
|Type||Private Elementary Day School|
|Religious affiliation||Conservative Jewish|
|Head of School||Steven R. Bogad|
|Student:teacher ratio|| 12:1 younger classes |
17:1 older classes
The school was founded in 1982. Both Jewish and General Studies are emphasized. Yavneh Day School is Northern California's only Solomon Schechter Day School, following the guidelines and standards established by the Jewish Theological Seminary and the Conservative Movement.
Yavneh Day School has been selected as an Oprah Winfrey Ambassador School with the goal to empower young leaders and educators and connects young people in North America with people around the world to create lasting change by working toward United Nations Millennium Development Goals.
As a private Jewish school, tuition does not cover all expenses and fund-raising is an important activity. In 2007, the school was honored by the Jewish Funders Network (an international organization of family foundations, public philanthropies, and individual donors dedicated to advancing the quality and growth of philanthropy rooted in Jewish values) for raising significant sums. The school was similarly recognized by the Partnership for Excellence in Jewish Education (founded in 1997 by Michael Steinhardt and Rabbi Yitz Greenberg, is a national organization of Jewish philanthropists seeking to establish a Jewish future through strengthening the Jewish day school movement in North America) and became a "supported school" of the PEJE undertaking.
In March 2007, it was reported that "Yavneh Day School receives accreditation":
- Yavneh Day School recently underwent the rigorous process in order to renew its accreditation with the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), the state’s leading accrediting body for private, not-for-profit schools. School administrators produced nearly 700 pages detailing every aspect of the school’s operation from governance to finances to faculty credentials and student curricula. The accreditation process culminated in a three day on-site visit in February by an accreditation team.
Role in the Bay Area Jewish community
The school is part of the Jewish religious, cultural and communal environments in the San Francisco Bay Area as described by the Jewish Community Federation of San Francisco: "...general, Jewish and Hebrew studies within nurturing environment. Grades K–8. Solomon Schechter-affiliated school open to all Jewish children. Accredited by the California Association of Independent schools." Yavneh Day School provides academic excellence in General and Judaic studies within a strong community where each child is celebrated and challenged. Yavneh Day School students demonstrate leadership, have a passion for learning and embrace social responsibility.
Yavneh Day School is located adjacent to the Addison-Penzak Jewish Community Center of the Silicon Valley, on the Levy Family Campus in Los Gatos. The site is the former location of the Ralph O. Berry Elementary School, Los Gatos Union School District, from 1962 until 1980. The site was also the State Headquarters for the project to eradicate the Mediterranean Fruit Fly, a major crisis in the administration of then-Governor Jerry Brown.
- Academic Excellence
- Social Responsibility
- Strong Community
See also (different school)
- Official site
- GoogleNews articles about all Yavneh Day Schools in the media
- Solomon Schechter Day School Association
References and notes
- ↑ Yavneh in the News: Yavneh becomes an "O Ambassador School"
- ↑ Jewish Funders Network; About Us
- ↑ Jewish Funders Network: The Match Report - Yavneh Day School Honors Six MATCH Donors
- ↑ Partnership for Excellence in Jewish Education (PEJE): Welcome
- ↑ Partnership for Excellence in Jewish Education: Supported Schools
- ↑ Jewish Federation of Silicon Valley: Jewish Community News, March 2007: Yavneh Day School receives accreditation
- ↑ Resource: A Guide to Jewish Life in the Bay Area: South Bay
- ↑ Facebook "Ralph O. Berry Elementary School Alumni," (retrieved on May 13, 2009).
- ↑ Los Gatos Weekly Times "Berry Overlooked," (May 19, 2004).