Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (March 2009)
William Barclay (5 December 1907, Wick – 24 January 1978, Glasgow) was an author, radio and television presenter, Church of Scotland minister and Professor of Divinity and Biblical Criticism at the University of Glasgow.
While professor, he decided to dedicate his life to "making the best biblical scholarship available to the average reader".[dubious ] The eventual result was the Daily Study Bible, a set of 17 commentaries on the New Testament, published by Saint Andrew Press, the Church of Scotland's publishing house. Despite the series name, these commentaries do not set a program of regular study. Rather, they go verse by verse through Barclay's own translation of the New Testament, listing and examining every possible interpretation known to Barclay and providing all the background information he considered possibly relevant, all in layman's terms. The commentaries were fully updated with the help of William Barclay's son, Ronnie Barclay, in recent years and they are now known as the New Daily Study Bible series.
The 17 volumes of the set were all best-sellers and continue to be so to this day. A companion set giving a similar treatment to the Old Testament was endorsed but not written by Barclay.
Barclay wrote many other popular books, always drawing on scholarship but written in a highly accessible style. In The Mind of Jesus (1960) he states that his aim was "to make the figure of Jesus more vividly alive, so that we may know him better and love him more".
Barclay's books include:
- The New Daily Study Bible (17 volumes covering the entire New Testament)
- The Apostles' Creed
- The Parables of Jesus
- The Ten Commandments
- Flesh And Spirit: An Examination of Galatians 5:19-23
- The Plain Man Looks at the Lord's Prayer
- Discovering Jesus
- At the Last Trumpet: Jesus Christ and the End of Time
- The Mind of Jesus
- The Mind of St. Paul
- The Mind of Dogs
- A Spiritual Autobiography
- The Plain Man Looks at the Beatitudes
- A Beginner's Guide to the New Testament
- God's Young Church
- The Old Law and the New Law
- And He Had Compassion: The Miracles of Jesus (Judson Press)
- Official site of the William Barclay Trust
- Brief biography at Harper Collins (publishers)
- The Enigmatic William Barclay, article in an online Christian magazine.
- "I am a convinced universalist" by William Barclay
- A collection of quotations from William Barclay.ja:ウィリアム・バークレー