Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Warren Jeffs was the leader and "prophet" of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS) and the owner of the Yearning for Zion Ranch in Texas until sentenced to prison in 2007 for abuse of underage girls.
Members of the FLDS church and the Yearning for Zion Ranch filed motions in March 2009 seeking to seal the abuse investigation of a 17-year-old girl. They are also requesting that any evidence seized during the raid and investigation be returned. Jeffs' attorneys are claiming that the allegation of abuse made by Rozita Swinton were false. The abuse claims made by Swinton led to the search and seizure of Zion Ranch.
- Born: December 3, 1955
- May 2006: Added to FBI's Ten Most Wanted List
- Arrested: August 28, 2006
- April 4, 2008: The Yearning for Zion ranch in Texas was searched after a complaint was made to state child welfare investigators
- All children were removed from the ranch, but all but one were later returned
- About 12 men at the ranch are facing charges including bigamy and violations against underage girls due to the evidence found during the raid
- Official Title: President and Prophet, Seer and Revelator
- Sentenced five years to life in prison, will serve at least 10 years
In May of 2006, Jeffs was added to the FBI's Most Wanted List. Jeffs fled to avoid prosecution in a case in Utah where he was accused of arranging the marriages between his adult male followers and young girls.
Jeffs was arrested in August of 2006 in Nevada. He agreed to go back to Utah and face his charges. Arizona also charged him with eight additional counts in two separate cases in May and July of 2007. The charges included various gross violations against laws of the land regarding sexual conduct.
The Warren Jeffs trial in St. George, Utah, began in September of 2007. The trial lasted less than a month. On September 25, Jeffs was convicted of two counts of accomplice to rape -- years to life.
On July 22, 2008, Jeffs and five other men were indicted on charges related to a gross violation of the Law of Chastity. Jeffs was indicted by a Texas grand jury on a charge of violation of a child. The indictment proceedings follow the child custody case of more than 400 children taken away from the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Texas. Jeffs is currently jailed in Utah State Prison.