Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Vicedomino de Vicedominis (died September 6, 1276 in Viterbo) was an Italian cardinal and cardinal-nephew of Pope Gregory X, his cousin who elevated him on June 3, 1273. From 1257 until 1273 he was archbishop of Aix, then cardinal-bishop of Palestrina. He possibly became dean of the Sacred College of Cardinals in July 1275.
According to the later accounts, attested for the first time in 17th century, in the papal election held after the death of Pope Adrian V he was elected to the papacy on September 5, 1276 and took the name Gregory XI, but having died the following day early in the morning, his election is not recorded as he was never proclaimed. Credibility of this story is contested by modern historians because is not supported by any contemporary source.
- ↑ His name is sometimes referred as Guglielmo Visconti, but this is incorrect.
- ↑ Miranda, Salvator. 1998. "Consistory of June 3, 1273."
- ↑ This is according to Miranda, Salvator. 1998. "Consistory of June 3, 1273." However, in the bulls of Gregory X that contain subscriptions of the cardinals he is always preceded by Pedro Juliani, which puts into question the accuracy of this statement; cfr. the bulls published in Monumenta Boica, vol. 12, p. 138, and vol. 17 pp. 123-124.
- ↑ Cfr. Miranda, Salvator. 1998. "Consistory of June 3, 1273."
- ↑ Richard Stapper, Papst Johannes XXI, Kirchengeschichtliche Studien, Munster 1898, p. 34 ff. Dr J. P. Adams Sede Vacante 1276
|30px||This Catholicism-related biographical article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|