Vern Sheridan Poythress (b. 1946) is an evangelical philosopher, theologian, and Professor of New TestamentInterpretation at Westminster Theological Seminary where he has taught since 1987. In 1981 he was ordained as a teaching elder in the Reformed Presbyterian Church Evangelical Synod, which later merged with the Presbyterian Church in America.
Poythress earned a Ph.D. in mathematics from Harvard University (1970). After teaching mathematics for a short time, he became a student at Westminster Theological Seminary, where he earned an M.Div. (1974) and a Th.M. in apologetics (1974). Continuing his theological training, he received a M.Litt. in New Testament from University of Cambridge (1977) and a Th.D. in New Testament from the University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch, South Africa (1981).
- Philosophy, Science, and the Sovereignty of God. Presbyterian and Reformed: 1976, reprinted 2004. ISBN 978-1596380028.
- Symphonic Theology: The Validity of Multiple Perspectives in Theology. Zondervan: 1987. ISBN 978-0875525174.
- Understanding Dispensationalists. 2d ed. Presbyterian and Reformed: 1993. ISBN 978-0875523743.
- Science and Hermeneutics: Implications of Scientific Method for Biblical Interpretation (Foundations of Contemporary Interpretation series, volume 6). Zondervan: 1988. ISBN 978-0310409717.
- The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses, Wolgemuth & Hyatt: 1991, reprinted Presbyterian & Reformed: 1995. ISBN 978-0875523750.
- God-Centered Biblical Interpretation. Presbyterian and Reformed: 1999. ISBN 978-0875523767.
- The Returning King: A Guide to the Book of Revelation, Presbyterian and Reformed: 2000. ISBN 978-0875524627.
- The Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy: Muting the Masculinity of Gods Words (with Wayne Grudem). Broadman and Holman: 2000. ISBN 978-0805424416.
- Redeeming Science: A God-Centered Approach. Crossway books: 2006. ISBN 978-1581347319.