The types of evolution discussed by scientists are:
- Cosmic Evolution (the origin of space, time, matter and energy from nothing)
- Stellar and Planetary Evolution (the origin of stars and planets)
- Abiogenesis (the origin of organic life from non-organic molecules)
- Biological Evolution (the development and diversification of biological life, often broken into microevolution and macroevolution)
- Chemical Evolution (the development of the larger elements from hydrogen)
Only the fifth phase has been observed and documented. The first four are assumed.