Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Tiran (Arabic: جزيرة تيران) is an Egyptian island. It is located at the entrance of the Straits of Tiran, which separates the Red Sea from the Gulf of Aqaba. It has an area of about 80 km2 (30 sq mi). Tiran is part of the Ras Muhammad National Park.
It is of strategic significance in the area, as it forms the narrowest section of the Straits of Tiran, which is an important sea passage to ports in Jordan and Israel: Aqaba and Eilat, respectively. It is inhabited only by military personnel from Egypt and the Multinational Force and Observers [MFO] .
Chisholm Point is a cape of Tiran Island.
Procopius writes that there was an autonomous Jewish community on the island (then called Iotabe) until the sixth century AD, when it was conquered by the Byzantine Empire. This history figured in Israeli rhetoric during the Suez Crisis.
Some sources report that beaches of the island are mined. 
The proposed Saudi-Egypt Causeway would pass through this island.
- ↑ History of the Wars I.xix.4
- ↑ http://books.google.com/books?id=yqk3XE196GsC&lpg=PA234&ots=tDB3sSv1jE&dq=yotvata%20justinian&pg=PA234#v=onepage&q=yotvata%20justinian&f=false
- ↑ http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/tiran-island.htm Observation Post 3-11, Tiran Island
- Tiran dive sites
- Observation Post 3-11, Tiran Island, GlobalSecurity.org
- BirdLife Factsheet - Tiran Island
- Tiran Island, Tourist infoTemplate:Egypt-geo-stub
|This article about the geography of Saudi Arabia is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|