The Dance of 17 Lives is a 2004 book by UK journalist and author Mick Brown. It is the extraordinary story of an exiled Tibetan teenager, the Karmapa, who has been hailed as one of the greatest spiritual leaders of modern times.
Considerable controversy surrounded the enthronement of the 17th Karmapa, as there was not just one contender for the throne of the 16th, but two. Both contenders were represented by rival factions who were out to get their candidate recognised as the 'true' incarnation of the 16th Karmapa. The 'alternative' to Urgyen Trinley Dorje was Thaye Dorje, who was supported by the authoritative voice of Shamar Rinpoche.
While this book may not appeal to scholars of Tibetan Buddhism or Tibetan culture, its value lies in demystifying this culture for a general readership. Brown demonstrates how spiritual and secular power are intimately related in the world of Tibetan Buddhism, with many monks and lamas jostling for the power that comes with spiritual authority.
- ↑ The Dance of 17 Lives Page at Bloomsbury USA.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Dance of 17 Lives --The Incredible True Story of Tibet's 17th Karmapa. Dharma Life, Issue 24.
- "Book Review: Brown, Mick. The Dance of 17 Lives: the Incredible True Story of Tibet's 17th Karmapa. Goldstein, Melvyn C. and others. A Tibetan Revolutionary: The Political Life and Times of Bapa Phuntso Wangye.". Booklist. June 1, 2004. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-21766054_ITM. Retrieved 2008-11-11.
- Scobie, Claire (August 1, 2004). "Review of The Dance of 17 Lives: the Incredible True Story of Tibet's 17th Karmapa". The Age. http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/28/1090694022580.html. Retrieved 2008-11-11.
- Hilton, Isabel (17 May 2004). "Spiritual struggle. Review of The Dance of 17 Lives: the incredible true story of Tibet's 17th Karmapa". New Statesman. http://www.newstatesman.com/200405170048. Retrieved 2008-11-11.
- Paine, Jeffery (June 27, 2004). "The Born-Again Buddha of Tibet". The Washington Post: pp. BW08. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3998-2004Jun24.html. Retrieved 2008-11-11.
- Brown, Mick. (2004). The Dance of 17 Lives: The Incredible True Story of Tibet's 17th Karmapa, Bloomsbury Press, ISBN 0-7475-7161-9
- Mick Brown and the Karmapa Conflict from a pro Thaye Dorje site.