Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In Sanskrit grammar a tatpuruṣa (तत्पुरुष) compound is a dependent determinative compound, i.e. a compound XY meaning a type of Y which is related to X in a way corresponding to one of the grammatical cases of X.
There are many tatpuruṣas (one for each noun case, and a few others besides); in a tatpuruṣa, one component is related to another. For example, "boathouse" is a dative compound, a house on a boat. It would be called a caturthī-tatpuruṣa (caturthī refers to the fourth case — that is, the dative). The most frequent kind is the genitive tatpuruṣa. Examples are:-
- jaya-prepsu = "victory-desiring". (accusative)
- varşa-bhogya = "year - going to be enjoyed" = "to be enjoyed for a year" (adjective). (accusative)
- deva-datta = "god-given" = "given by the gods". (instrumental)
- viṣņu-bali = "Vishnu-offering" = "offering to Vishnu". (dative)
- svarga-patita = "heaven-fallen" = "fallen from heaven". (ablative)
- tat-puruṣa = "that-man" in the sense of "that person's man". (genitive)
- vyāghra-buddhi = "tiger-thought" = "thought of it being a tiger". (genitive)
- yajur-veda = "sacrifice-knowledge" = "the knowledge of sacrifice", and the name of part of the Vedas. (genitive)
- rudrākṣa = rudra-akṣa = "Rudra-eye" = "the eye of Rudra". (genitive)
- raja-putra = "king-son" = "son of a king". (genitive)
- gŗha-jata = "house-born" = "born in the house". (locative)
- pūrvāhņa-kŗta = "morning-done" = "done in the morning". (locative)
The word "tatpuruṣa" is an example of the type: see in the list above.
- caturthī-tatpuruṣa = "which is dative and a tatpuruṣa". (nominative), but a nominative tatpuruṣa is classed as a karmadhāraya.
|This Creative Commons Licensed page uses content from Wikipedia (view authors). The text of Wikipedia is available under the license Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported (ToU).|