Discussions on the main portal page
Removing the redirect to a user talk page.
- Rev Bem 00:06, 26 June 2009 (UTC)
This is the Talk page for Religion-wiki as a whole. Feel free to use this page to ask general questions about Religion-wiki, its direction, or potential features that can be added.
Religion of the Month
I've added a link to a Zen page and some beginning content for that page. Not sure if there should be some sort of Table of Contents for each religion here? - Outlawyr Zen Filter
Purpose of Religion-Wiki
I'm just curious: is there a reason you guys have a separate wiki instead of working on religion pages on Wikipedia? Zach Alexander 19:37, 11 Apr 2005 (EDT)
- Not everything related to religion is encyclopedic. I envision this wiki hosting communities of local churches, so members of those churches could edit the site. The site can also include things like user-created prayers, which have no place on any existing Wikimedia project. Angela
- Also I think that a wiki dedicated to religion will have more indepth information than an encyclopedia, or at least that is my intention with the Buddhist section of this wiki Bodhisattva2be 15:18, 12 May 2005 (UTC)
- I like both approaches, but if we're going to do it we should probably note which is which. There's a freaking page detailing the worship of Helena Bonham Carter, the actress who plays Bellatrix LeStrange in the Harry Potter movies. Although we can respect the opinions of others, we can also note that they are "infant religions."
Is Satanism a religion?
There's these two wierd people who live next door who are into old Beelzebub. Is what they do a religion?
- I am a satanist and a Tyluthan. Satanism is a religion. You would be suprised how many satanist there are. You see them everyday without even knowing it. Tyluthan 17:31, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
- Not sure which ones your referring to, but since this is the wiki for all religions, I don't see any reason to excluded comical ones. I especially like the one called Christianity, its hilarious (sorry couldn't reset the joke, no offense intended).
- Rev Bem 23:16, 6 August 2008 (UTC)
- Maybe we should put them in a category for "infant religions" and/or comical ones. I'm sure I would love to see an in-depth analysis of Discordianism, even if it is a religion hidden within a joke hidden within a religion.
- Boxy310 23:38, 16 February 2009 (UTC)
- Actually i must agree with the main poster of this topic. I noticed that lately some people who are adding the ridiculous articles wich should be placed in the Uncyclopedia. but if you want to keep this stuff in this wiki i would recommend to create a template. Joke Alert!! wich we are also using in wikipedia. Sgt.Friso 18:21, 29 April 2009 (UTC)
27 October 2008 - Religion of the Month
I was attempting to liven the main page. The topic colors are kind of bright, but I think it looks better than before, comments welcome.
I also added a concept of the Religion of the Month to showcase some of the work people have done on various religions on this site.
- I like it! We should probably come up with more stuff to liven up the main page. Maybe a logo for the front page as well?
Hi folks. I have a big mouth, which means that I might very well be active here on Religion-wiki quite a bit.
My first impressions upon coming to this site is that it doesn't really have much to offer. I hate to say that, but compared to Wikipedia's religion section, we can't really compete in terms of drawing traffic or contributors.
We need a new focus, a new vision. A good model, in my opinion, is actually Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wikia page. It goes into much further detail than Wikipedia ever hopes to go into, and it has a much more narrow focus, which it can specialize on. Perhaps we can specialize on going into annoying amounts of detail - since, of course, the people who come here are interest in religion, anyway. I like Bodhisattva2be's comment that we need to go more in-depth. I think we need to support that as much as possible, both in order to gain contributors and traffic.
I know there are so many religious people out there who would love to create something beautiful, inspiring, and thought-provoking, founded on strong and unshakable principles such as coexistence, cooperation, and mutual respect. However, unless we focus we run the risk of dispersing all our efforts and becoming a cesspool of inactivity.
- Boxy310 23:36, 16 February 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks for all your recent work Boxy. I would disagree that this site has little to offer over Wikipedia, Wikipedia is horrifically boring an uninspirational, it is an encyclopedia, this is a community. We have far more religions here than Wikipedia, and averaging about half a dozen new ones each month, perhaps they are mainly "constructed" but some of them are quite interesting, inspirational or amusing. I agree that we have not hit critical mass yet, and the more in depth content the better. Our main advantage over Wikipedia is MPOV instead of Wikipedia:NPOV, our content is from our users point of view, and we certainly except original work.
- I agree that Wikipedia is more than slightly uninspiring. As a dump for all information, it kinda can't contain all the religious opinions about different things. I'm thinking about building a page for the Universal God, the idea that all religions are worshiping the same divine being, which would underly a lot of different religions on here. I think another advantage would be to compare different created religions to historical ones - such as a "similarities with historical religions" section. For example, Wayism is distantly related to Taoism. -Boxy310 17:56, 18 February 2009 (UTC)
(Capt Rosal 04:13, 3 March 2009 (UTC)) Hi i am have some trouble with an amin at memory gama wiki that want to censure view in keeping with exploitation of people . Region science as a way of furthering a conquest personally held view of others this is emotive way of interrupting people who are not prepared but insistence by this what has been put before them "i have proof" (of creationisem and if you don,t agree im making this hamper your time and energy). im not for or against creationist views i can support more than one idea thats not my idea i just don,t much like this as a way subjecting a person to things that would take a bunch of people in a room to hash out so trekstar why don,t you bring your sell cultures over here for discussion you could find more dedicated reader to converse with who may have a lot of there own proof to share with you and then i could make a proper intrusion as you did with your proof that you sited.Ps hay you could bring the CSI with there culture and mabe sulfur could join in this statment should not impinge on the church CSI or sulfur i am not a church vandal and if this is not the inference i apologise to the people that these statement about me suggest these to things statement combined green sell and vandalism is by me seen as an ongoing dispute in relation to the spirit that is more your,s than has been the case with me .
I would like to establish an interlink between the this wiki and the dutch religion wiki: http://nl.religion.wikia.com if it is possible. Since both wiki's are having simular content and i am intending to place articles in this wiki and would like interlinking them to the same articles on the dutch Religion wiki. Sgt.Friso 09:41, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
- Sounds good
- Rev Bem 00:50, 28 April 2009 (UTC)
Well i know its possible. I did it once with my military wiki's and it is working perfectly. somehow it didnt work here. I ve just left a message on the wiki forum. I hope they will respond. Sgt.Friso 01:50, 28 April 2009 (UTC)
this is what I found on the help wiki: Note that interlanguage links are not enabled by default on all multilingual Wikia, e.g. the Music Wikia. If you need interlanguage links on your Wikia, contact the Community Team. When requesting these links be setup, please provide the URLs of the wikis, not the name.
Once the links are setup, pages may need to be resaved before the interlinks will begin working.
I already contacted the staff about this. So i hope interlinking is enabled soon Sgt.Friso 08:54, 28 April 2009 (UTC)
Suggestions and improvements
our main portal
I have altered the portal a bit.
- Added a interlink menu bar to the german and dutch religion wiki
- Added wikia interlink for the dutch wiki (sadly it is not possible for the german wiki since that one is not hosted by wikia)
- I noticed that the scripting page was quit long so i have putted most of the subject sections in templates.
- I ve added edit links in the subject sections so you can add/remove text right away
Let me know if their are any problems I can fix that and its always possible to roll back. .
I also made a second portal on my testpage http://religion.wikia.com/wiki/User:Sgt.Friso/Testpage if you want i can work this one out and addept it to this wiki.
about the wikia layout"
by the way its a pity we have are still using the standard lay-out. wikia has given us a lot of options to alter the layout. If you would alter the Monaco.css we could add a nice banner too. I see that still a lot of things has to be done with such as adding templates and layouts. If you need some help with that i volunteer to assist you. as an example i can show you the wiki's i am administrating:
About the german wiki:
It seems that User:MattisManzel the founder of this wiki is no longer active on this wiki. his last edit was in 2006. he is also the admin of the german wiki wich his last edit was 2008-04-02 I dont know if rev.bev or kirk still in contact with him otherwise I would like to create a german religion wiki on wikia so we can interlink that wiki too. I will transfer the articles to that wiki too.
I hope you guys dont see me like a pain in the ass like someone who is new and thinks he knows everything better. I really like working on wikis. For me it is kind of addict. Ive started in 2002 on wikipedia and i m still active in the wiki's. Actually i m not a big writer but most of the time i am busy with moderating wiki's, add content to existing articles (expanding articles} , layouts making templates, tables etc for other people.
Regards, Sgt.Friso 22:42, 30 April 2009 (UTC)
the interlink is established. You can find on the left a drop down menu to switch to the dutch wiki. If someone else is planning to start another language let me know we can interlink that too. just a reminder this is only possible with wiki's hosted by Wikia. However it is always possible to establish an interlink on the main pages Sgt.Friso 21:11, 28 April 2009 (UTC)
Ive updated the portal for May. Sgt.Friso 23:53, 2 May 2009 (UTC)
I like this site very much.
This is really a extraordinary site.
This is not like other money oriented site, the info here is very useful.
I am definitely bookmarking it as well as sharing it with my friends.
Thank you for your comment but i prefer next time that you use the guestbook or a discussion page for these comments. this is an article section.
Anyone wish to add to the Wikipedia pages 'Women as theological figures' and 'Religion and politics' - or, as more original research than Wikipedia prefers is likely to be required - create suitable pages here and link to the above. 16:11, November 26, 2009 (UTC)
- Could you sign your post next time? 220.127.116.11 12:32, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
The page is now also on Wikinfo. jackiespeel18.104.22.168