Menkes was born in Britain. She was educated at Brighton and Hove High School. In the 1960s, she went as a teenager to Paris to study dressmaking. Viewing her first couture show at Nina Ricci sparked her interest in high fashion.
On her return from Paris, she read history and English literature at Cambridge University. After Cambridge, she worked for The Times reporting on fashion. In addition to her journalism, she has written several books, particularly on British Royal style.
From the International Herald Tribune:
Suzy Menkes, the fashion editor of the International Herald Tribune, has been named an officer of the Order of the British Empire for her services to journalism. In January, Menkes was named a chevalier of the Legion of Honor by President Jacques Chirac of France. The induction ceremony for that award will take place in Paris next week.
- The Royal Jewels, Suzy Menkes. Contemporary Books, 1990. ISBN 0-8092-4315-6.
- The Windsor Style, Suzy Menkes. Salem House, 1991. ISBN 0-246-13212-4
- Queen and Country, Suzy Menkes. Harpercollins, 1993. ISBN 0-246-13676-6
- Knitwear Revolution: Designer Patterns to Make, Suzy Menkes. Penguin USA, 1985. ISBN 0-14-046695-9
- Hussein Chalayan, Hussein Chalayan, Caroline Evans, Suzy Menkes. NAI, 2005. ISBN 90-5662-443-1
- ↑ Hero Brown, 'The fashion pack', handbag.com, 2005. Retrieved 12 February 2007.
- ↑ International Herald Tribune biography (PDF)