Sukhavati is a Sanskrit term that refers to the Pure Land of the Buddha Amitabha in Mahayana Buddhism. A translation of this word might be "Place of Great Bliss". The Tibetan name is Dewachen (བདེ་བ་ཅན་, bde ba can), Chinese Jílè 極樂 or Ānlè 安樂, and in Japanese Anraku 安楽 or Gokuraku 極楽.
Nine levels of birth
In the final part of the Contemplation Sutra, Shakyamuni Buddha discusses the 9 levels into which those born into the Pure Land are categorized. The levels are ranked from highest to lowest as follows:
1) The highest level of the highest grade
2) The middle level of the highest grade
3) The lowest level of the highest grade
4) The highest level of the middle grade
5) The middle level of the middle grade
6) The lowest level of the middle grade
7) The highest level of the lowest grade
8) The middle level of the lowest grade
9) The lowest level of the lowest grade
Sukhavati can refer to:
- Pure land
- Pure Land Buddhism, a branch of Buddhism.
- Joseph Campbell's documentary, "Sukhavati - Place of Bliss: A Mythic Journey with Joseph Campbell".
| This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.