|This article forms part of the series|
Orthodoxy in Australia
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Statistics of Orthodoxy in Australia
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|Antiochian - Met Abp Paul|
GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Romanian - Bp Mihail
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Without local bishop
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
|Saint Anna |
O.L. of Kazan
|New Kalenic |
|Edit this box|
This article seeks to compile the statistics of the Orthodox Church in Australia into a single place.
Orthodox in Australia - Census 2001
- Number of Orthodox in Australia: 529 444, or 2.82% of Australia's population.
There are difficulties with using the Australian census as defining how many Orthodox are of various nationalities, as Greek Orthodox was a box able to be ticked, whereas to be included in any other jurisdiction required writing in the name.
- Albanian Orthodox: 159
- Antiochian Orthodox: 7 525
- Greek Orthodox: 402 997
- Romanian Orthodox: 1 471
- Russian Orthodox: 18506
- Serbian Orthodox: 42405
- Unspecified Orthodox: 38 441
It must be noted that these figures are, for various reasons (eg the language limitations of recent migrants), unreliable. An internal census by the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand, for example, found there to be 37 490 congregants (regular attenders) in the Archdiocese.
Monasteries and Monastics in Australia
- Total number of monastic communities in Australia: 16 Monastic Communities.
- Male Monasteries: 9 cenobitic monasteries, with 1 skete. ~19 monks living in the monasteries.
- Female Monasteries: 5 cenobitic monasteries, with 1 skete. ~24 nuns living in the monasteries.
- ROCOR Monasteries: 7 communities; 4 male monasteries and 1 male skete (total of ~9 monks), 2 female (total ~10 nuns).
- GOA Monasteries: 5 communities; 3 male monasteries (total ~8 monks), 2 female (total ~11 nuns)
- Serbian Monasteries: 3 communities; 2 male monasteries, 1 female skete.
- Antiochian Monasteries: 1 female monastery (total ~1 nun).