Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Simon Theatre is a theater in Brenham, Texas. It was built by James Simon, designed by Houston architect Alfred C. Finn, and constructed in 1925. For many decades the Simon Theatre provided the community with a setting for theatrical performances, vaudeville acts, ballroom dances, special events and movies.
The Simon Theatre is recognized by the The League of Historic American Theatres as a Texas Historic Theatre, and the Architecture Division of the Texas Historical Commission has listed it as an Endangered Historic Property. The Brenham Main Street Historical Preservation, an historical preservation project, is creating a downtown visitor center within the building. The Simon Theatre is part of the Brenham Downtown Historic District, an historical landmark on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Simon Theatre is currently under renovations and will be renamed the Simon Center. "Save our Simon" is an organization dedicated to the preservation of the Simon Theatre. On September 28, 2007, the organization raised $1.2 million for the renovation of the Simon Theatre. On February 22, 2007, the chairman of the Texas Historical Commission, John Nau, stated that the Simon Center in downtown Brenham would restore a historic building and be, "a tremendous economic development investment for the community." The plans include refurbishing the 83-year-old theater and ballroom so that it may be used as a convention center and visitors center.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Brief History of the Simon Theatre - Brenham, Texas
- ↑ Cinema Treasures | Simon Theatre
- ↑ League of Historic American Theatres - Theatre Inventory
- ↑ Texas Historical Commission, Architecture Division: An Inventory of Records at the Texas State Archives, 1981-1999
- ↑ http://www.ci.brenham.tx.us/Main_Street_Simon_proj.pdf
- ↑ simonfaq
- ↑ Supporters raise $1.2 million for ‘Save the Simon’ Brenham Banner Press
- ↑ Historical Commission chairman lauds restoration project Brenham Banner Press