|Part of a series on|
- Simran and Seva: These are the Foundation of Sikhism. It is the duty of every Sikh to practice Naam Simran daily and engage in Seva whenever there is a possibility- in Gurdwara; in community centre; old people's homes; care centres; major world disasters, etc....
- The Holy trinity of Sikhism: Guru Nanak formalised these three important aspects of Sikhism:
- Kirat Karni: - To live honestly and earn by ones physical and mental effort while accepting God's gifts and blessings. A Sikh has to live as a householder carrying out his or her duties and responsibilities to the full.
- Kill the Five Thieves: The Sikh Gurus tell us that our mind and spirit are constantly being attacked by the Five Evils – Kam (Lust), Krodh (Rage), Lobh (Greed), Moh (Attachment) and Ahankar (Ego). A Sikh needs to constantly attack and overcome these five vices.
- Positive Human Qualities: The Sikh Gurus taught the Sikhs to develop and harness positive human qualities which lead the soul closer to God and away from evil. These are: Sat (Truth); Daya (Compassion); Santokh (Contentment); Nimrata (Humility); and Pyare (Love).
Points of belief
- 1) One Source
- Energy is the Creator of the Universe
- 2) Equality
- All human beings are equal
- People of all religions and races are welcome in Sikh Gurdwaras
- Women have equal status with men in religious services and ceremonies
- 3) Human Life Precious Above Other Life
- The human life is supreme and it is through this life that we can achieve oneness with God's will.
- Finding God in this life and living by his commands helps us to attain God's mercy.
- 4) Defending Against Injustice
- Sikhs are a peace loving people and stand for Truth and Justice
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji said, "It is right to use force as a last resort when all other peaceful means fail."
these can be summed up in the Mul Mantra (or mool) which is:
- there is one creator
- whose name is truth
- creative being
- without fear"
- without hate
- timeless whose spirit is throughout the universe
- beyond the cycle of death and rebirth
- by the grace of the guru
- god is made known to humanity.
- Chant and meditate on His name
- True in the beginning, true now, and says Nanak, will be true forever