Sikh Pilgrimage to Pakistan - Illustrated Guide
- Authors: Anup Singh Choudry and Hardip Singh Chowdhary
- Published by Gurbani Centre UK 1985
- Printed in Great Britain by Jarrold and Sons Ltd, Norwich
This a short book which is a must for any Sikh or non Sikh visiting Sikh shrines in Pakistan. With the recent relaxation of the visa requirements for Indian citizens, more and more visitor now travel to Pakistan every year. Guru Nanak, the founder of the Sikh religion was born on the outskirts of Lahore and the book contains illustrations of various sacred places in Pakistan connected with the Guru from his birth to death. The events of the first Guru are now represented by sacred Gurdwaras which are pictured in this book. These holy places or Gurdwaras serve to educate the world and remind us about the life of Guru Nanak, his teachings and message of love, compassion, kindness, mercy and forgiveness.
Pilgrimage is not uncommon to most major religions of the world. The Sikhs, in their thousands, visit Pakistan each year to celebrate the birth anniversary of their founder, Guru Nanak, at Nankana Sahib, his birthplace. This illustrated guide introduces most of the Sikh shrines in Pakistan connected with the founding Guru. It is hoped that it will serve as an effective guide to assist and encourage prospective pilgrims to visit these shrines.
For non-Sikhs and students of comparative religions, the authors hope the guide will provide readily available information as an introduction to the Sikh faith and its philosophy. But above all, it will provide to everyone, Guru Nanak’s universal message of love, peace and brotherhood, and the emphasis on the worship of one God.
The chapter on the Sikh Raj gives some background to the Sikhs’ history and their present political status. Some of the recent events have been cited in passing in one or two places where they have been of historical importance and significance in the context of references made in the text.
H. S. Chowdhary, A. S. Choudry, Authors London, September 1985
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Sikh Pilgrimage to Pakistan. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.|
- Nankana Sahib
- Gurdwaras in Pakistan
- Harcharan Singh Twenty one year old Harcharan Singh has become Pakistan's first Sikh army officer
- Sikhism in Pakistan
- First Sikh officer in Pakistan Army
- Sikh Pilgrimage to Pakistan
- Gurudwaras In Pakistan (Pictorial View)
- Pakistan - Birth and objectives
- ↑ BBC News: Pakistan lets Sikh pilgrims enter
- ↑ Sikhiwiki article on Guru Nanak
- ↑ BBC article on Guru Nanak
- ↑ Panja Sahib: The Miracle at Hasan Abdal
- ↑ The First Master Guru Nanak Dev (1469-1539)
- ↑ Pilgrimage: In the Middle Ages the Church encouraged people to make pilgrimages
- ↑ The Birthday of Guru Nanak - 13th November 2008
- ↑ SGPC - Historical Gurdwaras Of Pakistan