Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This biography of a living person does not cite any references or sources. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living people that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately. (January 2008) Find sources: ( – )|
Sharon Salzberg is a teacher of Asian meditation practices, particularly vipassanā (insight) and mettā (loving-kindness) methods. Her approaches also touch on the Brahmavihara meditations. All of these methods have their origins in the Theravada Buddhist tradition. Together with Jack Kornfield and Joseph Goldstein, she founded the Insight Meditation Society in 1974. She also co-founded (with Goldstein) the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies in 1989. In 1998 they co-founded The Forest Refuge as a long-term meditation retreat center.
An in-depth interview with Salzberg appears in the book "Meetings with Remarkable Women: Buddhist Teachers in America," by Lenore Friedman. (Boston:Shambhala, Revised and Updated edition, 2000. ISBN: 1570624747)
Sharon Salzberg was honored by the New York Open Center in 1999 for her "Outstanding Contribution to the Mindfulness of the West"
- Mind and Life Institute 2005 Investigating the Mind Conference, Panelist.
- Oprah Winfrey’s O Magazine, Contributing Editor.
- Heart as Wide as the World (1999) ISBN 1-57062-428-3
- Voices of Insight (2001) ISBN 1-57062-769-X
- Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience (2003) ISBN 1-57322-340-9
- Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness (2004) ISBN 1-59030-187-0
- The Force of Kindness: Change Your Life with Love and Compassion (2006) ISBN 1-59179-355-6
- Insight Meditation: A Step-By-Step Course on How to Meditate (2002), with Joseph Goldstein ISBN 1-56455-906-8.
- Lovingkindness Meditation (2005) ISBN 1-59179-268-1
- Sharon Salzberg's Website
- Salzberg discusses meditation
- Sharon Salzberg audio from the DIY Dharma site
- Video interview with Sharon Salzberg
- Yoga and Buddhism's adaptation in the West: an interview with ascent magazine.
- A Teaching in Shambhala Sun Magazine
- Audio Interview Series on Buddhist Geeks
|This Buddhist biography-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|