Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The document was compiled by Æthelwold, who was aided by monks from Fleury and Ghent. A synodal council was summoned to construct a common rule of life to be observed by all monasteries. The resulting compilation of various Western European monastic practices did not contain much that was unique to English customs. It did specify a procedure for the election of bishops that differed from Continental practice, and which led to a predominantly monastic episcopacy.
- ↑ Cannon, John; Ralph Griffiths (1997). The Oxford Illustrated History of the British Monarchy. Oxford University Press. pp. 25. ISBN 0-19-822786-8.
- ↑ Blair, Peter Hunter (1960). An Introduction to Anglo-Saxon England. Cambridge University Press. pp. 178.
- Regularis Concordia
- Regularis Concordia, ed. and tr. D.T. Symons, Regularis Concordia Anglicae Nationis Monachorum Sanctimonialiumque. The Monastic Agreement of the Monks and Nuns of the English Nation. London, 1953.
- Ælfric's Letter to the monks of Eynsham
- Letter to the Monks of Eynsham, ed. and tr. C. A. Jones, Ælfric’s Letter to the Monks of Eynsham. Cambridge Studies in Anglo-Saxon England 24. Cambridge, 1998.
- Old English versions
- A continuous Old English interlinear gloss in BL, MS Tiberius A III f. (Faustina), ed. Lucia Kornexl, Die Regularis Concordia und ihre altenglische Interlinearversion. Edition mit Einleitung und Kommentar. Münchener Universitäts-Schriften 17. Munich, 1993.
- Two fragments of Old English prose translations:
- Old English translation of §§ 36-43 in London, BL, MS Tiberius A III, f. 174-7 (previously preceding the Latin text of MS Faustina B III), ed. A. Schröer, "De consuetudine monachorum." Englische Studien 9 (1886): 290-96.
- Old English translation of §§ 14-19 in Cambridge, CCC, MS 201 (Part A), pp. 1-7, ed. J. Zuptiza, "Ein weiteres Bruchstück der Regularis Concordia in altenglischer Sprache." ASNSL 84 (1890): 1-24.
|This article related to the history of England is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This Roman Catholicism-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|