Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Ralph I of Vermandois (French: Raoul Ier "le Vaillant") (1085 – 14 October 1152), Count of Vermandois. He was son of Hugh I, Count of Vermandois, and Adelaide, Countess of Vermandois.
His paternal grandparents were Henry I of France and Anne of Kiev. His maternal grandparents were Herbert IV of Vermandois and Adele of Valois.
His only paternal uncle was Philip I of France. Through him Raoul was a first cousin of Louis VI of France and a first cousin, once removed of Louis VII of France.
Ralph served as the seneschal of France during the reign of his cousin Louis VII. Under pressure from Queen consort Eleanor of Aquitaine, Louis allowed him to repudiate his wife Eléonore of Blois in favor of Eleanor's sister, Petronilla of Aquitaine. This led to a war with Theobald II of Champagne, who was the brother of Ralph's first wife Eleonore. The war lasted two years (1142–44) and ended with the occupation of Champagne by the royal army.
Family and children
Ralph was married three times:
- First, he was married in 1125 with Eléonore of Blois, daughter of Stephen II, Count of Blois. Their marriage ended in divorce in 1140. They had one son:
- Second, he was married in 1140 with Petronilla of Aquitaine; in 1151 their marriage was dissolved. They had two children:
- Elizabeth (Isabelle Mabile) (1143-1183), married Philip, Count of Flanders
- Ralph II, count de Vermandois and Valois (1145-1167), married Margaret of Lorraine, later countess of Flanders.
- Third, he was married in 1152 with Laurette of Flanders, daughter of Thierry, Count of Flanders and Swanhilde. They had one daughter:
- Eleonore, countess of Vermandois and Valois, renounced her titles in 1214 in favor of the French Crown and became a nun (b. 1152 - d. aft.1222). She married five times:
- (probably) Godfrey of Hainaut, Count of Ostervant (d. 1163).
- before 1167 Count William IV of Nevers.
- ca 1170 Matthew of Alsace.
- ca 1175 Count Matthew III of Beaumont-sur-Oise.
- ca 1210 Stephen II of Blois, Lord of Chatillon-sur-Loing .
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Ralph I, Count of Vermandois. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.|