Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Punjab or Panjab (etymologically the more accurate form) is derived from the medieval Persian language, in which it means "[land of] five rivers" (panj, "five"; āb, "water", cognate with Latin aqua, see OED, "Punjab"; Online Etymological Dictionary, "aqua-"). The original English pronunciation, reflecting the indigenous pronunciation, is [pʌndʒaːb] (see OED); but there is also a common spelling pronounciation [pundʒaːb]. Punjab in its various forms may refer to:
- Punjab region, an area of South Asia spanning from central Pakistan to north-western India
- Panjab District, Afghanistan
- Panjab, Afghanistan, capital of Panjab District
In former countries, states and provinces:
- Sikh Empire (authoritative)/Punjab Empire (geographic), a former religious monarchy in the region.
- Punjab (British India), a former province of British India.
- Punjab Hill States Agency, an administrative unit of British India
- Punjab States Agency, an administrative unit of British India
- Patiala and East Punjab States Union, a former state of India
- East Punjab, the part of the Punjab which became part of India
- West Punjab, the part of the Punjab which became part of Pakistan
- Punjab lasso, a weapon made of cat gut used to strangle people, mentioned in Gaston Leroux's novel The Phantom of the Opera
- Punjab, a character in the Little Orphan Annie comic strip, and the musical Annie
- Punjabi language
|This page uses content from the English Sikhi Wiki. The original article was at Punjab. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with the Religion-wiki, the text of Sikhi Wiki is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|