It is in the section Cordisporae.
- Pileus: 0.5–1.5 cm in diameter, conic to convex, with an acute umbo or papilla, not viscid, glabrous, slightly translucent-striate, silky white fibrils when young that fade in age, hygrophanous, lubricous, reddish brown to yellowish brown or clay color, becoming blackish. Flesh thin, brownish.
- Gills: Adnexed, sometimes with a decurrent tooth, thin, light brown to dark brown, blackish in age, edges pallid.
- Spores: Purple brown in deposit, rhomboid or subrhomboid in face view, , thick-walled, with a broad truncate germ pore.
- Stipe: (1.8)2.5–4(5) cm long, 0.5–1.5 mm equal to slightly enlarged at the base, flexuous, hollow, dark brown or reddish brown, apex pruinose, zoned with appressed whitish fibrils. No annulus is formed by the cortinate veil.
- Taste: Unknown.
- Odor: None to slightly farinaceous.
- Microscopic features: Basidia 11–17 µm, pleurocystidia 17–26 µm, cheilocystidia .
Habitat and distribution
Psilocybe plutonia may be found growing solitary or gregarious, from late June through February, on rotted wood or in soil with woody material, in tropical forests, from Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, Cuba and most recently in North Carolina, often near sea level or in lower elevations, although widely distributed, it is not found often.
- B. & C, FUNGI CUB. 77. 1867
- Berk. & Curt. Jour. Linn. Soc. 10: 292. 1868
- (Berk. & Curt.) Sacc. Syll. Fung. 5: 1056. 1887
- Guzmán, G. The Genus Psilocybe: A Systematic Revision of the Known Species Including the History, Distribution and Chemistry of the Hallucinogenic Species.
- The Hallucinogenic Species of Psilocybe (Fr.) P. Kumm. (Agaricomycetidae) in Colombia, Their Indian Use, New Records, and New Species
- Stamets, Paul (1996). Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press. ISBN 0-9610798-0-0.
- Guzmán, G. The Genus Psilocybe: A Systematic Revision of the Known Species Including the History, Distribution and Chemistry of the Hallucinogenic Species. Beihefte zur Nova Hedwigia Heft 74. J. Cramer, Vaduz, Germany (1983) [now out of print].
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Psilocybe plutonia. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.|