Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Psilocybe graveolens is an extremely rare psilocybin mushroom in the section Zapotacorum, which has psilocybin and psilocin as main active compounds, discovered in the salt marshes or "meadows" of Hackensack, New Jersey. Known for its strong and persistent odor.
It is in the section Zapotecorum, other members of this section include Psilocybe angustipleurocystidiata, Psilocybe argentipes, Psilocybe collybioides, Psilocybe kumaenorum, Psilocybe muliercula, Psilocybe pintonii, Psilocybe subcaerulipes and Psilocybe zapotecorum.
The species name means “strongly smelling”: Latin gravis “heavy” and olens participle present of olere “smell”.
- Cap: (1)2 — 3(4) cm in diameter, convex to subumbonate, umbonate or with a slight depression, glabrous, even to slightly striate at the margin, hygrophanous, brownish to orange brownish, fading to golden yellow to whitish, sometimes with a dark green hue. Flesh whitish to pallid brownish, with a strong unfavorable odor.
- Gills: Adnexed, close, yellowish brown to chocolate brown, edges sometimes lighter.
- Spore Print: Dark purple brown.
- Stipe: (2)4 — 6 cm x 2 — 5 mm, equal or slightly expanding at the base to subulbous, white to brownish, with dark greenish or violaceous tones. stuffed to hollow, fibrillose, with a soon disappearing evanescent annulus, rhizomorphic strands attached to the base.
- Taste: Farinaceous
- Odor: Farinaceous
- Microscopic features: Spores (7)7.5 — 9.5(10.5) µm x (3.7)4.5 — 5.2(6) µm, pleurocystidia and cheilocystidia present. Basidia 4-spored.
Distribution and habitat
Psilocybe graveolens is found growing cespitose to gregarious on rich loam of salt marshes or "meadows" in Hackensack, New Jersey, in November.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Psilocybe graveolens. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.|