This article expressess a personal opinion about a religion or a topic related to religion. Please be respectful in your talk page comments, even if you strongly disagree with the opinions expressed here. You can, of course, write another article about the same subject. Different opinions are welcome on Religion Wiki.
Pornography is the presentation of sexual material in its rawest and most debased form and is meant to inflame the passions of the carnal man and woman. It is highly addictive and destructive in a multitude of ways, affecting not only the character and biology of the individual who indulges in it, but marriages, families, and societies.
Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints constantly counsel both youth and adults against the dangers of pornography (see links below) and promote ways to help those who are addicted overcome their habits, repent, and reconcile with God.
A recent study by the Family Research Council  cites the effects of pornography. The study defines pornography as follows:
- Pornography is a visual representation of sexuality which distorts an individual's concept of the nature of conjugal relations.
Findings of the Study — General Effects and Effects on the FamilyEdit
- Pornography alters both sexual attitudes and behavior.
- Pornography is a major threat to marriage, family, children, and to individual happiness.
- In undermining marriage, it is one of the factors in undermining social stability.
- Married men who view pornography become less satisfied with their marital intimacy, thereby upsetting their wives.
- Pornography use often leads to infidelity and divorce, and is often the leading factor in the destruction of the marriage.
- When one spouse is addicted to pornography one or the other partner often loses interest in the sexual aspect of intimacy.
- The viewing of pornography is a type of infidelity.
- Family relationships tend to disintegrate when a family member is addicted to pornography.
Effects on the IndividualEdit
- Pornography effects brain chemistry and is highly addictive.
- People who view pornography become densensitized and seek more and more perverse material.
- "Men who view pornography regularly have a higher tolerance for abnormal sexuality, including rape, sexual aggression, and sexual promiscuity."
- Men who indulge in pornography begin to view women and even children as objects rather than individuals.
- Pornography leads to permissiveness with attendant out-of-wedlock births and sexually transmitted diseases.
The LDS ViewEdit
Because of the addictive nature of pornography and the harm it can cause to body and spirit, servants of God have repeatedly warned us to shun it. Those who are caught in the trap of pornography should stop immediately and seek help. Through repentance, those who have been addicted can receive forgiveness and find hope in the gospel. Bishops and branch presidents can provide counsel on how to overcome this problem. The Atonement of Jesus Christ can provide the needed healing as people prayerfully seek the Lord's help. 
- To Acquire Spiritual Guidance by Apostle Richard G. Scott
- Until We Meet Again by President Thomas S. Monson
- A Tragic Evil Among Us by President Gordon B. Hinckley
- Personal Morality by Apostle David B. Haight
- Pornography by Apostle Dallin H. Oaks
- Rise Up, Oh Men of God by President Gordon B. Hinckley
|This page uses content from Mormon Wiki. The original article was at Pornography. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with the Religion-wiki, the text of Mormon Wiki is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|