Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Papacy began||December 19, 1187|
|Papacy ended||March 20, 1191|
|Birth name||Paulino or Paolo Scolari|
Rome, Papal States, Holy Roman Empire
March 20, 1191|
Rome, Papal States, Holy Roman Empire
|Other Popes named Clement|
- See also, 11th century antipope Clement III.
A Roman by birth, he was made in succession, by Pope Alexander III, Archpriest of the patriarchal Liberian Basilica, Cardinal-deacon of Sergio e Bacco, and finally Cardinal bishop of Palestrina in December 1180.
Shortly after his accession, he succeeded in allaying the conflict which had existed for half a century between the Popes and the citizens of Rome, with an agreement by which the citizens were allowed to elect their magistrates, while the nomination of the governor of the city remained in the hands of the Pope. On 31 May 1188 he concluded a treaty with the Romans which removed long standing difficulties, thus returning the Papacy to Rome.
Clement also inherited a depleted college of cardinals, consisting of no more than twenty cardinals. He orchestrated three series of promotions: March 1188, May 1189 and October 1190, resulting in over thirty new cardinals.
He settled a controversy with William I of Scotland concerning the choice of the archbishop of St. Andrews, and on 13 March 1188 removed the Scottish church from under the legatine jurisdiction of the archbishop of York, thus making it independent of all save Rome.
In spite of agreeing to crown Henry VI, Holy Roman Emperor, Clement III angered Henry VI of Germany by bestowing Sicily on Tancred. The crisis was acute when the Pope died in the latter part of March 1191.
- ↑ About the date of his death see Katrin Baaken: Zu Wahl, Weihe und Krönung Papst Cölestins III. Deutsches Archiv für Erforschung des Mittelalters Volume 41 / 1985, pp. 203-211
- ↑ Cheetham, Nicolas, Keepers of the Keys, (Charles Scribner's Sons, 1982), 325.
- ↑ The New Cambridge Medieval History, Vol.1, Ed. David Luscombe and Jonathan Riley-Smith, (Cambridge University Press, 2004), 402.
- ↑ Robinson, Ian Stuart, The papacy 1073-1198: continuity and innovation, (Cambridge University Press, 1990), 55.
- ↑ Reston, James, Warriors of God: Richard the Lionheart and Saladin in the Third Crusade, (Random House Inc., 2001), 106.
- ↑ Blair, D. Oswald Hunter, History of the Catholic Church of Scotland, (Willian Blackwood and Sons, 1887), 329.
- ↑ Benson, Robert Louis and Robert Charles Figueira, Plenitude of power: the doctrines and exercise of authority in the Middle Ages, (Ashgate Publishing Ltd, 2006), 40.
- Benson, Robert Louis and Robert Charles Figueira, Plenitude of power: the doctrines and exercise of authority in the Middle Ages, Ashgate Publishing Ltd, 2006.
- Blair, D. Oswald Hunter, History of the Catholic Church of Scotland, Willian Blackwood and Sons, 1887.
- "Pope Clement III" in the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia.
- Cheetham, Nicolas, Keepers of the Keys, Charles Scribner's Sons, 1982.
- This article incorporates text from the Encyclopædia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, a publication now in the public domain.
- Reston, James, Warriors of God: Richard the Lionheart and Saladin in the Third Crusade, Random House Inc., 2001.
- Robinson, Ian Stuart, The Papacy, 1073-1198: Continuity and Innovation, Cambridge University Press 1990.
|Catholic Church titles|
| Succeeded by|
bs:Papa Klement III ca:Climent III cs:Klement III. da:Pave Clemens 3.fa:کلمنت سومgl:Clemente III, papa ko:교황 클레멘스 3세 hr:Klement III. id:Paus Klemens IIIjv:Paus Clemens III sw:Papa Klementi III la:Clemens III lv:Klements III lt:Klemensas III hu:III. Kelemen pápa mk:Папа Климент III mr:पोप क्लेमेंट तिसराno:Klemens IIIpt:Papa Clemente III ro:Papa Clement al III-lea ru:Климент III (папа римский) fi:Klemens III sv:Clemens III tl:Clemente III th:สมเด็จพระสันตะปาปาคลีเมนต์ที่ 3 uk:Климент III war:Papa Clemente III zh:克勉三世