Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Blessed Pius of St. Aloysius|
|Born||April 29, 1868Rimini, Italy, Trebbio,|
|Died||November 2, 1889 (aged 21), Casale, Italy|
|Venerated in||Roman Catholic Church|
|Beatified||November 17, 1985, Rome, by Pope John Paul II|
|Attributes||Passionist Habit and Sign|
Blessed Pius of Saint Aloysius, born Luigi Campidelli, a religious and clerical student of the Passionist Congregation, born on April 29 1868 in the village of Trebbio, Rimini, Italy; died November 2 1889 at Casale, Italy. Beatified by Pope John Paul II in 1985.
Luigi Campidelli was born to a family of impoverished farmers on April 29 1868. He was the fourth child born to Giuseppe and Filomena. Giuseppe caught typhoid in 1874 and died, leaving the family destitute. An uncle came to their aid, but his lax morality was a trial for the devout family. In his schooling Luigi was an admirable and in his teens he became more active in the life of his parish. He was known throughout the neighbourhood as a good child and soon he felt a call to the priesthood. He was especially loyal to the Pope at a time when his native province of Romagna was torn between Catholics and atheistic secularists. He encountered Passionist priests at the age of 12 and immediately wanted to join them. From this time on he was a frequent visitor to the Passionist house at Casale. He was invited to join the novitiate and on May 27 1883 he was clothed in the Passionist habit and received the religious name Pius of Saint Aloysius.
The novitiate was temporarily transferred to Viterbo, the city in which fellow Passionist Blessed Dominic Barberi was born. Pius continued his theological and philosophical studies and on April 30 1884 took his vows. He received Minor Orders but was struck down with tuberculosis before he could be ordained priest. He died on November 2 1889, offering his life for his troubled home region of Romagna. Pius of Saint Aloysius was solemnly beatified by Pope John Paul on November 17 1985.
- Homily of Pope John Paul II at Blessed Pius’ beatification (in Italian)
- Shrine of Blessed Pius (in Italian)
- ↑ James, L: "Blessed Pius Campidelli, Passionist" page 14. General Postulator's Office Congregation of the Passion, 1985
- ↑ James, L: "Blessed Pius Campidelli, Passionist" page 17. General Postulator's Office Congregation of the Passion, 1985
- ↑ James, L: "Blessed Pius Campidelli, Passionist" page 23. General Postulator's Office Congregation of the Passion, 1985
- ↑ James, L: "Blessed Pius Campidelli, Passionist" page 29. General Postulator's Office Congregation of the Passion, 1985