|From The Báb|
Epistle to the Son of the Wolf
|From Shoghi Effendi|
The Persian Bayán was written near the end of 1847 or the beginning of 1848, while the Báb was imprisoned in Maku. The book contains elements of Bábí law, discussion of religious concepts, and the glorification of He whom God shall make manifest. It was one of the Báb's first works in which he clearly states that he is the messianic figure of the Twelfth Imam and the Mahdi which the Shi'as were expecting. With the claim, he also claimed the abrogation of the Islamic dispensation, and uses the new Bábí law to abrogate Islamic law. The whole book also revolves around the praise of He whom God shall make manifest, promising the coming of a major prophet termed a Manifestation of God; this would be of major importance with Bahá'u'lláh's claim two decades later. Shoghi Effendi considered it a "eulogy of the Promised One", who had abrogated the laws of Islam, and prophesied about the coming of the Bahá'í Faith.
Unities and chapters
The book was intended to be composed of nineteen 'unities' each of nineteen chapters, consisting of a total of 361 sections, which had numerical significance, but this was left incomplete and stops in the ninth 'unity'. It was intended to be finished by "He whom God shall make manifest", a messianic figure in the Báb's writings. Bahá'ís consider Bahá'u'lláh's Kitáb-i-Íqán as it's completion.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Smith, Peter (2000). "Bayán". A concise encyclopedia of the Bahá'í Faith. Oxford: Oneworld Publications. pp. p. 91. ISBN 1-85168-184-1.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Momen, Moojan (1987). "Preface: A Summary of the Persian Bayan". Oxford: George Ronald. pp. 316-318. ISBN 978-0-85398-247-0.
- ↑ Effendi, Shoghi (1944). God Passes By. Wilmette, Illinois, USA: Bahá'í Publishing Trust. pp. 25. ISBN 0877430209. http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/se/GPB/gpb-3.html.iso8859-1#pg25.
- The Báb (1976). Selections from the Writings of the Báb. Wilmette, Illinois, USA: Bahá'í Publishing Trust. ISBN 1931847304. http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/tb/SWB//.
- Browne, Edward Granville (1987). Momen, Moojan. ed. Selections from the Writings of E.G. Browne on the Bábí and Bahá'í Religions. Oxford, UK: George Ronald. ISBN 0853982473.