Naguib el-Rihani (Arabic: نجيب الريحاني) (21 January 1889 - 8 June 1949) was an Egyptian actor. Born in Bab El Shereya, Cairo, Egypt to an Iraqi Chaldean Father by the name of "Elias El Rihani" who worked as a horse expert and trader who eventually settled in Cairo where he met and eventually married Naquib's mother a Coptic Christian lady from Cairo, ahe was one of three sons in ]. He was educated in the French school "Les Freres", in Cairo.
He had a turbulent marriage, with Badeaa Masabny, a Lebanese actress / dancer, who settled in Cairo, and established her famous cabaret, "Casino Badeaa", and separated before his death. He died at the age of 60 years old in Cairo, of Typhoid, while filming his last film "Ghazal Al Banat".
He established his own theatrical group in the late 1910s, in Cairo, and partnered his long-life friend Badeih Khairy, in adapting several french theatre hits, to the Egyptian Theatre, and later to the Cinema.
A great comedian both on stage and in films, he is considered "The Father of Comedy" in Egypt. Fuad Al Mohandes, the great Egyptian comedian of modern times, always acknowledged Naguib Al Rihani's effect on him and his style in acting.
List of plays
- Taaleeli Ya Bata تعاليلي يابطةوانا مالي ايه .
- El Rial 1917.
- Kesh Kesh Bey Fee Paris.
- Homar We Halawa.
- Ala Keifak (As You Like)
- El Ashra El Tayeba 1920, music by Sayed Darwish.
- Ayam El Ezz (Times of Prosperity).
- Lawe Kont Malik (If I Was A King).
- Mamlaket El Hob.
- El Guineh El Masry (Egyptian Pound) 1931, adapted from Topaze by Marcel Pagnol
- El Donia Lama Tedhak (When Luck Smiles) 1934.
- Hokm Karakosh (Rule of Karakosh) 1936.
- Kismiti (My Luck) 1936.
- Lawe Kont Heleiwa (If I Was Handsome) 1938.
- El Dalouah (The Spoiled Girl) 1939.
- 30 Yom Fee El Segn (30 Days In Prison)
- El Setat Ma Yearfoush Yekdebo (Women Never Lie)
- Ela Khamsa إلا خمسة (Minus Five)1943.
- Hassan, Morcos & Cohen 1945.
- Saheb Al Saada KeshKesh Beh 1931.
- Yacout 1934, adapted from "El Guineh El Masry".
- Besalamtoh Ayez Yetgawwez 1936.
- Salamah Fe Kheer 1937.
- Abou Halmoos 1941.
- Leabet Al Set 1941.
- Si Omar 1941, adapted from "Lawe Kont Heleiwa".
- Ahmar Shafayef
- Ghazal Al Banat 1949.
- Naguib el-Rihani at the Internet Movie Database
- نجيب الريحاني
- Naguib El Rihani on Egypt State Information Service