Melford grew up in the Chicago area. Based in New York City since the mid 1980s, Melford has played as a side-person with Henry Threadgill, and has led her own bands including players such as trumpeters Dave Douglas and Cuong Vu, reed players Marty Ehrlich and Chris Speed, bassists Lindsey Horner and Stomu Takeishi, drummers Michael Sarin and Kenny Wolleson, and cellist Erik Friedlander.
In addition she has played in a leaderless trio called Equal Interest which includes Joseph Jarman of the Art Ensemble of Chicago and AACM violinist Leroy Jenkins, and has played in duos with Marty Ehrlich, Dutch percussionist Han Bennink and flutist Marion Brandis.
She is currently teaching at the University of California, Berkeley.
- Alive in the House of Saints (1993)
- Even the Sounds Shine (1995)
- The Same River, Twice (1996)
- Dance Beyond the Color (2000)
- The Image of Your Body (2006)
- Zorn, John, ed. (2000). Arcana: Musicians on Music. New York: Granary Books/Hips Road. ISBN 188712327X.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Myra Melford. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.|