Muhammad A. S. Abdel Haleem, OBE is Professor of Islamic Studies at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London, England; and editor of the Journal of Qur'anic Studies. Born in Egypt, he learned the Qur'an by heart during childhood, and is a hafiz. In 2004, Oxford University Press published his translation of the Qur'an into English. He has also published several other works in this field.
Whilst maintaining his own Muslim faith, Abdel Haleem is a moderate, arguing for example that British Muslims fighting against British forces in the Afghanistan conflict are violating the instructions of the Qur'an.
He was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2008 Birthday Honours. Professor Abdel Haleem was recognized for his services to Arabic culture and literature and to inter-faith understanding.
- The Online Quran Project includes the Qur'an translation, The Qur'an: a New Translation, of Abdel-Haleem.
- Qur'an Presentations Based on Abdel Haleem Translation
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad and Badawi, Elsaid M (2005): Dictionary of Qur'anic Usage. E. J. Brill.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (2004): The Qur'an: a New Translation. Oxford World's Classics Hardcovers Series. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (1999): Understanding the Qur'an: themes and style. London: I B Tauris.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad, translator (1995): Chance or creation? God's design in the Universe, attributed to Jahiz, translated and introduced. Reading, Berkshire: Garnet.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad and Robinson, Danielle, editors. (2006): The Moral World of the Qur'an. London: IB Tauris. Chapter in Book
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (2006): 'Islam, Religion of the Environment.' In: Cotran, E. and Lau, M., (eds.), Yearbook of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law. Netherlands: E.J. Brill, pp. 403-410.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (2006): 'Arabic and Islam.' In: Brown, Keith, (ed.), Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics. Oxford: Elsevier, pp. 34-37.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (2006): 'Qur'an and Hadith.' In: Winter, Tim, (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to Classical Islamic Theology. UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (1999): 'Human Rights in Islam and the United Nations Instruments.' In: Cotran, E and Sherif, A, (eds.), Democracy the rule of law and Islam. London: Kluwer Law International, pp. 435-453. Article
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (2002): 'The Prophet Muhammad as a Teacher: implications for Hadith literature.' Islamic Quarterly, vol. XLVI (2). pp. 121-137.
- Abdel-Haleem, Muhammad (1994): 'Qu'ranic Orthography: the written presentation of the recited text of the Qur'an.' Islamic Quarterly, 38 (3). pp. 171-192.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 SOAS Staff: Muhammad Abdel Haleem
- ↑ Edinburgh University Press: Journal of Qur'anic Studies Editorial Board
- ↑ Oxford University Press: The Qur'an: Translated by M. A. S. Abdel Haleem
- ↑ David F. Ford: The Launch of The Qur'an: A New Translation by M.A.S. Abdel Haleem; Address by Professor David Ford
- ↑ Khaleel Mohammed: Assessing English Translations of the Qur'an: "as a believer, he writes..."
- ↑ BBC News: 'UK Muslims must obey UK law'
- ↑ Template:LondonGazette
- ↑ SOAS: SOAS academic awarded an OBE in Queen’s Birthday Honours