California is home to over 740,000 members of LDS Church as well as seven Mormon temples.
Early Mormon History in California
California has had a long history with the Mormon Church, starting with members who sailed to San Francisco aboard the Brooklyn. Then when members of the U.S. Army unit known as the Mormon Battalion were discharged in San Diego, many stayed and helped build up the San Diego area.
A major Mormon colony was founded in the 1850's in San Bernardino. This colony was called back to Utah in 1858 during the threat of Johnstons War.
Temples in California
- Fresno California Temple
- Los Angeles California Temple
- Newport Beach California Temple
- Oakland California Temple
- Redlands California Temple
- Sacramento California Temple
- San Diego California Temple
- California Mormons - Guide to LDS attractions, websites, temples, stakes, festivals and special interest groups in California.
- California Saints, A 150-year Legacy in the Golden State - by Cowan and Homer, Publ 1996.
|This article is a stub. You can help Religion Wiki by.|