Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
One of the fruits of the Holy Spirit.
The Fruits of the Holy Spirit are perfections that the Holy Spirit forms in us as the first fruits of eternal glory. The tradition of the Church lists twelve of them.
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have always been encouraged to wear modest clothing, and the wearing of the temple garment requires it. Even anciently in Christ’s Church members were encouraged to “adorn themselves in modest apparel” (see 1 Timothy 2:9). The Guide to the Scriptures printed by the Church says that modesty is “appearance that is humble, moderate, and decent. A modest person avoids excesses and pretensions.”
The leaders of the Church have given further guidelines on modesty in the pamphlet For the Strength of the Youth under the section, Dress and Appearance. It reads in part:
- Prophets of God have always counseled His children to dress modestly. The way you dress is a reflection of what you are on the inside. Your dress and grooming send messages about you to others and influence the way you and others act. When you are well groomed and modestly dressed, you invite the companionship of the Spirit and can exercise a good influence on those around you.
- Never lower your dress standards for any occasion. Doing so sends the message that you are using your body to get attention and approval and that modesty is important only when it is convenient.
- Immodest clothing includes short shorts and skirts, tight clothing, shirts that do not cover the stomach, and other revealing attire. Young women should wear clothing that covers the shoulder and avoid clothing that is low-cut in the front or the back or revealing in any other manner. Young men should also maintain modesty in their appearance. All should avoid extremes in clothing, appearance, and hairstyle. Always be neat and clean and avoid being sloppy or inappropriately casual in dress, grooming, and manners. Ask yourself, "Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord’s presence?"
- Someday you will receive your endowment in the temple. Your dress and behavior should help you prepare for that sacred time ...
- Show respect for the Lord and for yourself by dressing appropriately for Church meetings and activities, whether on Sunday or during the week.
Dressing modestly shows respect not only for God but for the bodies which He has given His children. In 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 it says,
- Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
After Adam and Eve had partaken of the fruit, they saw that they were naked, and the Lord gave them garments to clothe themselves:
- Unto Adam, and also unto his wife, did I, the Lord God, make coats of skins, and clothed them (Moses 4:27).
Even though they were alone in the world and married to each other, the Lord still commanded they be modestly clothed once they fell from paradise. This taught them the sacredness of the body. Wearing modest clothing is a way to show respect for the Lord, and also encourages modest, moral behavior.
For more information or to find modest clothing visit one of these websites: