Jasmine Mary Joseph|
February 15, 1984
Thiruvalla, Kerala, India
Jasmine Mary Joseph (Malayalam മീര ജാസ്മിന്) (born on 15 February 1984), better known by her stage name Meera Jasmine, is an Indian actress who appears in regional Indian movies including Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu and Kannada films. She won the National Film Award for Best Actress in 2004 and two times the Kerala State Film Award as well es one Tamil Nadu State Film Award. She has also received the prestigious Kalaimamani Award from the government of Tamil Nadu.
Meera Jasmine was born Jasmine Mary Joseph on 15 February 1984 in Kuttappuzha, Thiruvalla in Pathanamthitta district, Kerala. Born to Joseph and Aleyamma,has a sister named Jeni,is a Christian (Mar Thoma Church) by birth, she completed her schooling in Seventh Day Adventist English Medium High School (kindergarten to fourth standard) in Thekkemala, Mar Thoma Residential School (fifth standard to high school), Thiruvalla. She completed her schooling in March 2000. She had enrolled for a BSc degree in Zoology at Assumption College, Changancherry and completed nearly three months when she was spotted by director Blessy (who was then an assistant director to director Lohitadas) and offered a role in Soothradharan.
Jasmine made her debut in the Malayalam film Soothradharan in 2001 directed by Lohithadas opposite Dileep. Though the film was not a financial success, she received offers from other languages. She has starred in a dozen Malayalam films in her six-year career. Her second film was 'Gramaphone', directed by director Kamal, alongside Navya Nair, opposite Dileep. Her role as a Jewish girl was appreciated by Malayalam cine goers. Her third movie was Swapnakkoodu, a romantic comedy alongside Prithviraj, Kunchako Boban, Jayasurya, and Bhavana under director Kamal. Her performance was appreciated and the movie was a big success at the box office. Among the five main characters, the one who scored the most was again Meera. She got real attention in Malayalam cinema with the movie Kasthooriman directed by her mentor Lohithadas. She acted comedy and sentimental scenes. She received her first film fare award for her performance in Kasthooriman. The film was also a success at the box office: running for 100 days. The same year, she acted in T V Chandran's acclaimed Paadam Onnu: Oru Vilaapam. She played a 15-year-old Muslim girl who was forced to marry an older man. She received not only the State Award for Best Actress but also National Award and several other awards. Then came a performance as Raziya in Perumazhakkalam alongside Kavya Madhavan. In the movie 'Achuvinte Amma'(2005), she enacted the young, adorable character Achu with such an extraordinary ease that she seemed to live the character instead of acting. She then paired with Super Star Mohanlal in Rasathanthram(2006). She played as a guy in the half and the movie went on to became a block buster. Her next movie with Dileep - Vinodayathra was again with Sathyan Anthikkad who repeated her in his 3rd consecutive movie. She then starred in critically acclaimed movie Ore Kadal. The movie was showcased in film festivals and won awards. Her performance as an innocent middle class woman won praise from various corners. Media quoted her as, "Matching step with the megastar in this histrionic race is Meera Jasmine, who amazes you with a stunning delineation of her difficult role". Her next movie was Calcutta News with Dileep. Blessy, who introduced her to film field, was the director of Calcutta News.
Jasmine's Tamil film entry made her a well-known star in the South. The success of Tamil film Run and Bala (2002) has given her the chance to work with the established actors of the Tamil film industry. She won the Film fare Best Female debut actress award for Run. The success of the films led her to work with directors such as Mani Ratnam in Aayutha Ezhuthu and SS Stanley in Mercury Pookkal. Meera has acted in 15 Tamil films.
Telugu and Kannada
Jasmine became known in Telugu film industry with her first film (dubbed from Tamil) "Run". She was in the Telugu films in 2004 with Ammayi Bagundi and Gudumba Shankar but also entered Kannada cinema by co-starring with Puneet Rajkumar in 'Maurya'. Her Kannada film 'Arrasu' again with Puneet Rajkumar and Ramya aka Divya Spandana is a hit. Her forthcoming Kannada films are Devaru Kotta Thangi and Ijjodu.
Jasmine's biggest Telugu hit was Bhadra with Ravi Teja in the male lead. Her other Telugu films are Raraju, Maharadhi, Yamagola Malli Modalayindi, Gorintaku and latest film is Maa Ayana Chanti Pilladu, in which she is paired for a second time with Sivaji.
She offered prayers at Raja Rajeshwara temple at Taliparamba in Kerala where the entry of non-Hindus is prohibited. This led to a controversy and sparked off a protest by Hindu devotees. Later, she paid Rs. 10,000 as penalty to the temple authorities to conduct the purification rituals.
Tamil Nadu Government
- 2002 - Filmfare Best Female Debut (Tamil), Run
- 2003 - Filmfare Award for Best Actress (Malayalam), Kasthoorimann
- 2006 - Filmfare Award for Best Actress (Malayalam), Achuvinte Amma
- 2007 - Filmfare Award for Best Actress (Malayalam), Ore Kadal
V Shantaram Awards
- 2003 - V Shantaram Award for Best Actress, Paadam Onnu: Oru Vilapam.
- 2007 - V Shantaram Award for Best Actress, Ore Kadal
- 2003 - Jeeva- Asianet Film Award for Best Actress, Paadam Onnu: Oru Vilapam
- 2004 - Jeeva- Lux- Asianet Film Award for Best Actress, Perumazhakkalam
- 2005 - Jeeva- Lux- Asianet Film Award for Best Actress, Achuvinte Amma
- 2007 - Jeeva- Lux- Asianet Film Award for Best Actress, Ore Kadal
Vanitha Film Awards
- 2004 - Vanitha-Chandrika Film Award For Best Actress , Perumazhakkalam
- 2007 - Vanitha-Nipon Paint Film Award for Best Actress, Ore Kadal
Mathrubhumi Film Awards
- 2003 - Mathrubhumi - Medimix Award for Best Actress, Paadam Onnu: Oru Vilapam
- 2004 - Mathrubhumi - Medimix Award for Best Actress, Perumazhakkalam
- 2001 - Bharathan Award For Best Female Debut Actress, Soothradharan
- 2002 - Dinakaran Award For Best Female Debut Actress, Run
- 2003 - National Film Academy Award for Best Actress, Paadam Onnu: Oru Vilapam.
- 2003 - Kaveri-Film Critics Award, Paadam Onnu: Oru Vilapam
- 2003 - Kerala Film Audience Council Award, Paadam Onnu: Oru Vilapam
- 2003 - Kerala Film Critics Association Award, Paadam Onnu: Oru Vilapam
- 2004 - Tikkurishi Award for Best Actress, Perumazhakkalam.
- 2005 - Amrita Film Fraternity Award for Best Actress, Achuvinte Amma
- 2006 - Jeevan TV-Mastro Mania award for Best Actress, Rasathanthram
- 2007 - Dubai AMMA award for Best Actress, Ore Kadal
- 2007 - Fokana award for Best Actress, Ore Kadal
- 2007 - Amrita Film Award for Best Actress, Ore Kadal
- 2007 - Sreevidya Puraskaaram (Best Actress), Ore Kadal
- 2007 - Tharangini Film Award for Best Actress, Ore Kadal
- 2008 - Best Actress at 8th Annual Imagine Indian Film Festival, Spain, "Ore Kadal"
- 2008 - Dubai AMMA award for Best Actress, Calcutta News
- 2009 - Veera Pazhassi Awards -Swarna Mayoogam
- ↑ "Jasmine sparks row by entering temple". The Times of India. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1696170.cms. Retrieved 2006-07-01.
- ↑ "Tryst with god costs Meera dear". DNA. http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1039126. Retrieved 2006-07-02.
- ↑ Filmfare: Manassinakkare bags four awards
- ↑ 55th annual Tiger Balm South Filmfare Awards-Chennai-Cities-The Times of India
- ↑ Asianet award for Mohanlal and Meera Jasmine
- ↑ "Kazcha" bags five "Ujjala-Asianet" Film Award-2005 '
- ↑ Mathrubhumi film awards for Mohanlal and Meera Jasmine
- ↑ "Perumazhakalam" bags 11 "Mathrubhumi-Medimix" Award
- ↑ My-Kerala.com: News
- ↑ 16-07-03
- ↑ The Hindu : Film critics' awards announced
- ↑ Mohanlal gets Kerala Film Critics association award : Down South News : ApunKaChoice.Com
- ↑ Thikkurushi award for Meera Jasmine and Prithviraj
- ↑ Mammootty and Meera win Fokana awards, നല്ല നടന് മമ്മൂട്ടി, നടി മീര
- ↑ The Hindu : Kerala / Kochi News : Amrita film awards announced
- ↑ http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200810161640.htm
- Meera Jasmine at the Internet Movie Database
|National Film Award|
Konkona Sen Sharma
for Mr. and Mrs. Iyer
|Best Actress |
for Paadam Onnu: Oru Vilapam
| Succeeded by|