Bishop Maxim (Vasilijevic) (also Maksim Vasiljevic) was enthroned as bishop of the Diocese of Western America of the Serbian Orthodox Church on July 30, 2006. Previously, he was the Bishop of Hum, Vicar bishop in the Metropolitanate of Dabro-Bosna, in the Republic of Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
He was enthroned by Bishop Longin of the New Gracanica Metropolitanate, in the Cathedral Church of St. Steven the First-Crowned in Alhambra, California. Bp. Maxim was elected Bishop of the Western American Diocese of the Serbian Orthodox Church in North and South America at the regular assembly of the Hierarchs of the Serbian Orthodox Church in Belgrade, Serbia, in 2006. Bishop Maxim is docent of the Divinity School at the Theological Faculty of the University of Belgrade, and previously taught Christian anthropology and sociology at the University of East Sarajevo.
Bishop Maxim graduated from the Theological Faculty of the Serbian Orthodox Church in 1993. He completed his Masters of Theology at the University of Athens in 1996, and then three years later, in 1999, at the same university, he defended his doctorate in the field of dogmatics and patristics. He worked for one year on his post‐doctorate in Paris and the Sorbonne in 2003‐04, in the field of Byzantine history and hagiography. During this time, he also delved into the theory and practical application of painting at the French Academy of Fine Arts in Paris. Bishop Maxim speaks Greek, French, Russian, and English.
Currently, in addition to his Archpastoral duties in the Western American Diocese, Bishop Maxim is a Professor of patrology at the St. Sava School of Theology in Libertyville, Illinois. He is the editor of Theology, the journal of the Faculty of Orthodox Theology, University of Belgrade.
Some recent works:
- "An existential interpretation of dogmatics: Theological language and dogma in the face of the culture of pluralism," St. Vladimir's Seminary Quarterly 51 (2007), pp. 395‐422.
- "La conception de la sainteté dans l'oeuvre hagiographique de Syméon le Métaphraste," Revue des Études Byzantines 66 (2008), pp. 191‐207.
- "Holy Icons and the ultimate state of being," Annual 2007 of the Western American Diocese, Los Angeles (2007), pp. 37‐39.
- "The Orthodox Marriage and Family," a lecture given at the KSS Annual Retreat in Jackson, 2007 (to be published).
- "St. John the Chrysostom, Commemoration of the 1600th Anniversary of the Repose of St. John Chrysostom," St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Church, November 13‐14, 2007.
- "Ecclesiological provincialism compared to the Church's concrete unity," The Path of Orthodoxy, May 2007.
|Vicar Bishop of Hum|
|Bishop of Western America|