Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Mar Shimun XXI Benyamin (Syriac: ܡܪܝ ܒܢܝܡܝܢ ܫܡܥܘܢ ܥܣܪܝܢ ܘܩܕܡܝܐ) was a Catholicos Patriarch of the Assyrian Church of the East. He was born in 1887 in the village of Qochanis in the Hakkari Province, Ottoman Empire (modern-day southeastern Turkey). He was consecrated a Metropolitan on March 1, 1903 by Mar Rowil, the Catholicos Patriarch who died on March 16, 1903. He succeeded his predecessor at the age of eighteen and occupied the patriarchal See of Seleucia-Ctesiphon at Qudchanis for 15 years. In March, 1918, Mar Benyamin along with 150 of his bodyguards were assassinated by Simko (Ismail Agha Shikak), a kurdish agha, in the town of Kuhnashahir (Persia) under a truce flag (see Assyrian Genocide).
- "It is impossible for me and my people to surrender after seeing the atrocities done to my Assyrian people by your government; therefore my brother is one, my people are many, I would rather lose my brother but not my nation."
- Assyrian Church of the East's Holy Synod
- Assyrian people
- Assyrian Language
- List of Assyrians
- List of Patriarchs of Babylon
- Assyrian war of independence
To learn more about the Mar Shimun Family Patriarchs and the Church of the East, please visit MarShimun.com
- "Patriarchs of the East" at friesian.com
- The Invitation of the Patriarch Mar Binyamin at www.aina.org (First-hand account by Malik Daniel Bar Malik Ismail of Mar Benyamin's assassination)
Mar Shimun XVIII Rouel
|Catholicos-Patriarch of Babylon|
| Succeeded by|
Mar Shimun XXII Paulos
|This Christianity-related biographical article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This Assyrian-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|