This article expressess a personal opinion about a religion or a topic related to religion. Please be respectful in your talk page comments, even if you strongly disagree with the opinions expressed here. You can, of course, write another article about the same subject. Different opinions are welcome on Religion Wiki.
—"By means of shrewd lies, unremittingly repeated, it is possible to make people believe that heaven is hell - and hell heaven. The greater the lie, the more readily it will be believed." Adolph Hitler
—"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State." Joseph Goebbels
—"The essence of lying is in deception, not in words. A lie may be told by silence, by equivocation, by the accent on a syllable, by a glance of the eye attaching a peculiar significance to a sentence. All these kinds of lies are worse and baser by many degrees than a lie plainly worded. No form of blinded conscience is so far sunk as that which comforts itself for having deceived because the deception was by gesture or silence, instead of utterance." John Ruskin
The following excerpts are from The Mosque Exposed by Sam Solomon, a former imam and Islamic lawyer who converted to Christianity and is now residing in the UK, and E. Alamaqdisi, a prolific writer and debater, and a regular contributor to many Internet sites on the complex subject of Islam and its teachings. They also wrote Modern Day Trojan Horse: Al-Hijra, The Islamic Doctrine of Immigration, Accepting Freedom or Imposing Islam?
Error: No text given for quotation (or equals sign used in the actual argument to an unnamed parameter)—Despite the overtly cruel, harsh and intolerant Qur'anic views towards the 'others,' namely Jews and Christians, there are injunctions in the Qur'an that enable the Islamic community to disguise, play down, and, when necessary, deny both the intensity and validity of these anti-Semitic and anti-Christian teachings of its religious system.
Error: No text given for quotation (or equals sign used in the actual argument to an unnamed parameter)—[Takiyya] permeates almost all the activities and dealings of Muslims within non-Muslim societies...
Error: No text given for quotation (or equals sign used in the actual argument to an unnamed parameter)—Takiyya means "caution, fear, or disguise." It permits the suspension, as the need arises, of almost any or all religious requirements--including a total denial of faith--when fearing threat, injury or compulsion of any kind in a non-Muslim society, or even in a Muslim society.
—The Qur'anic injuction for takiyya is:
- Sura 16:106 Anyone who after accepting faith in Allah utters unbelief (kuffur) except under compulsion, his heart remaining firm in faith, but such as open their breast to unbelief on them is wrath from Allah.
The word 'guard' in the phrase 'guard yourselves from them' is known as takiyya.
- Sura 3:28 ...let not the believers take for friends unbelievers rather than believers. If any do that, in nothing will there be help from Allah; except by way of precaution that ye may guard yourselves from them. But Allah cautions you Himself...
—As an addition to takiyya, Muhammad sanctioned lying by saying that Allah will not hold a Muslim accountable when he lies in these three situations:
- when in war, espionage, concealment, or in weakness
- with his wife, or a wife with her husband
- when reconciling or maintaining peace
Muhammad went on to say, "War is deception."
This deception can be practiced at a personal level as well as at community level through its leaders and institutions.Takiyya is practiced by all Muslims, Sunni and Shi'ites alike...
- See also Raymond Ibrahim's article for the Middle East Quarterly, Winter 2010: How Taqiyya Alters Islam's Rules of War
Kitman is close to Taqqiya but rather than outright dissimulation, it consists in telling only part of the truth, with “mental reservation” justifying the omission of the rest (adjustment, deception etc, anything short of a full-blown lie). For example when a Muslim maintains that “jihad” really means “a spiritual struggle” and fails to add that this particular definition is a recent invention in Islam (little more than a century old), he misleads by holding back the true violent nature of jihad, and is therefore practicing “kitman.” Another example would be the insistence of a Muslim apologist that “of course” there is the freedom of conscience in Islam, followed by quoting the Qur’anic verse “There shall be no compulsion in religion.” The impression given is false, for there has been no mention of the Islamic doctrine of abrogation, or naskh.
Conditions to lie set by Muhammad
Islam is the only world-religion that implies in its scriptures that it is ever permissible (or even encouraged) to lie. In his Sira, Muhammad authorized lying to improve the chances of successful assassinations, for example in the case of Shaaban Ibn Khalid al-Hazly and Bin Kaab.
- —Muhammad said: "Lying is wrong, except in three things: the lie of a man to his wife to make her content with him; a lie to an enemy, for war is deception; or a lie to settle trouble between people" [Ahmad, 6.459. H]
- Q2:225: A Muslim does not have to maintain his oath (faith) as long as what's in his heart is true:
- Treaties: A Muslim can break a treaty with a non-believer or even a "not so good" Muslim. Now, how can you authorize breaking a treaty without also authorizing lying?
- Q3:28: Muslims are told that non-believers are not friends. Logically it follows, that If you explicitly designate a group in your immediate social circle, as a non-friend, then you implicitly designate them as enemies, since enmity is the only relation that can be allowed to develop. As we see Muhammad allows lying to enemies, so now you have permission to lie to your non-believer non-friends (the West, the non-believing minorities, the "not-so-good" Muslims, etc..).
- Q16:106 If a Muslim is compelled to disbelief, do it. And Muhammad even took the pain to explain what he considered "compelling": (please see "Compelled to Lie" for more details). This verse does not mention when being "under fear of death" or "if a knife is put to your neck". This verse opens the door to lying, since you can deny faith, you can deny less important things.
- Q77:38 & Q9:5: Allows the Muslim to use any stratagem. A common Muslim defense is that this applies 'only in war' However as has been demonstrated, Muslims are always at war. Considering that non-believers can not be friends with Muslims. Therefore any relations can only be governed by enmity or truce. Also, Considering the Muslims are allowed to break a truce whenever they choose without prior warning (very dishonourable conduct) as per Treaties, I would have to argue that Muslims are constantly at war.
Compelled to lie vs allowed to lie:
Q16:106 states "if a Muslim is compelled to lie". It seems that 'compelling' and 'allowing' are synonymous as they both can occur following conditions set by Muhammad:
- To keep the peace in his house,
- To protect himself
- To bring peace among people.
Why else would someone lie if it were not for those 3 conditions listed above? Read the list again and ask yourself if there is any other condition worth lying for.
Questions: What did Islam add to humanity as far as lying is concerned? What is it that Muslims are not allowed to do today, that pagans were allowed to do before the founding of Islam in regards to honesty?
The following seems to say that a person can knowingly get two of his friends to lie about the consent given by a woman and the marriage will be upheld. So if she turns him down, all he needs to do is get two friends to lie and she will be his wife legally:— Narrated Abu Haraira:
Allah's Apostle said, "A lady slave should not be given in marriage until she is consulted, and a virgin should not be given in marriage until her permission is granted." The people said, "How will she express her permission?" The Prophet said, "By keeping silent (when asked her consent)." Some people said, "If a man, by playing a trick, presents two false witnesses before the judge to testify that he has married a matron with her consent and the judge confirms his marriage, and the husband is sure that he has never married her (before), then such a marriage will be considered as a legal one and he may live with her as husband." , See also: Sahih Bukhari 9:86:98 & Sahih Bukhari 9:86:101
- Muhammad admits to lying and encourages Muslims to do likewise
- Allah the best Deceiver
- What Sins Are Forgiven
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Taqiyya. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.
- Former Muslims and experts on Islam including Abdullah Al-Araby, Robert Spencer, Walid Shoebat and Bat Ye'or talk about lying in Islam
- Youtube user talks about his experience in Morroco where he found salesmen commonly lied to him to promote their goods
- Youtube user talks about the Ka'ab assasination where Muhammad allowed a person to lie
- Taqiyya and Jihad
- Egyptian Cleric Mahmoud Al-Masri Recommends Tricking Jews into Becoming Muslims