Lya W. Stern (1950-) is a violinist, recording artist and violin teacher. Born Lya Weiss to a Jewish family in Cluj, Romania, Lya Stern moved to the United States as a teenager. She is married to Larry Stern and has two children.
- Post graduate studies in the violin master class of Jascha Heifetz at University of Southern California,
- Master's Degree with Honors,Violin Performance, University of Southern California,
- Bachelors Degree in Violin Performance, Manhattan School of Music
Additional studies in solo, chamber and orchestral playing at:
- Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
- Kneisel Hall, Blue Hill, ME.
A student of two of Leopold Auer's students (Raphael Bronstein and Jascha Heifetz) Lya Stern was a resident, artist and teacher in New York and Los Angeles, California. She currently lives in Washington, D.C. where she chairs the ASTA Certificate Program for Strings.
- String Teacher of the Year 1999, American String Teachers Association MD/DC State Chapter
- Citation for Exceptional Leadership and Merit 2000, ASTA National
- Chair of the Maryland The Certificate Program for Strings since 1998
- Founded the ASTA National Certificate Program for Strings. for which she received the Outstanding Service For Strings Award in 1998.
- Past President of the MD/DC chapter of ASTA
- Past Chair: MD State Solo Competition for Strings, ASTA; Brewster Competition for Strings, MD Music Teachers Assoc; Gretchen Hood Competition, Washington Music Teachers Assoc.
- Served as Adjudicator of competitions for the Washington Performing Arts Society, the Levine School of Music, etc.
- Past member of the faculty of the Baltimore School for the Arts
Symphonic, opera and ballet
National Gallery Orchestra, National Symphony Pops, Washington Bach Consort, Maryland Lyric Opera House, Paul Hill Chorale Orchestra, Alexandria Symphony, California Chamber Symphony, Roger Wagner Master Chorale and Simphonia, American Ballet Theater, Bolshoi and Kirov Ballets Nureyev and The Paris Opera Ballet, Dance Theatre of Harlem, Santa Monica Symphony, New American Orchestra, Los Angeles Pops Orchestra, Pasadena Symphony, Glendale Symphony, San Fernando Valley Symphony, Westside Symphony, Westchester Symphony, Hollywood Chamber Orchestra
TV shows and concerts
Liza Minnelli, Tony Bennett, Marvin Hamlisch, Vikki Carr, Burt Bacharach, Michel Legrand, Pia Zadora, Robert Goulet, Bing Crosby, Bernadette Peters, Rosemary Clooney, Nancy Sinatra, Peter Nero, Eddie Fisher, Merv Griffin, Jack Jones, Ray Charles, Barbara Mandrell, Paul Anka, Johnny Mathis, Steve Lawrence, Eydie Gorme, Charo, Lena Horne, Dionne Warwick, Helen Reddy, Donna Summer, Henry Mancini, Dudley Moore, Julio Iglesias, Radio City Music Hall Christmas Show, Academy Awards and Grammy Awards and others.
Barbra Streisand, Frank Sinatra, Linda Ronstadt, Andy Williams, Glen Campbell, John Davidson, Captain & Tennille, Tom Jones, Osmond Brothers, Donny & Marie, Neal Hefti, Chuck Mangione, Nelson Riddle, Gladys Knight, Jackson Browne, Rita Coolidge, Carole King.
Capricorn One, Star Trek, Grease, Rocky, New York, N.Y., A Star is Born, King Kong, Hook, Blues Brothers, Robin and Marian, The Domino Principle, Centennial, Beau Geste, The Buddy Holly Story, Back to the Future, The Muppet Movie, Ordinary People, The Hindenburg, The Greatest, Psycho II, Caddyshack, Dynasty, A Small Town in Texas, Trial of Billy Jack, Waiting to Exhale.
Columbo, Little House on the Prairie, The Streets of San Francisco, Undersea World, Quincy, M.E., Hawaii Five-O, Marcus Welby, M.D., Name of the Game, Ironside, Barnaby Jones, Medical Center, Kojak, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Dallas.
Hello, Dolly!, Fiddler on the Roof, A Little Night Music, Chorus Line, Promenade, Lorelei, Irene, Gypsy, Evita.
Publisher and editor:
- Life At The End of the Tunnel (2001)
- ASTA Certificate Program For Strings
- Google Search
- Română (Romanian Language)
- עִבְרִית ‘Ivrit(Hebrew Language)
- Kneisel Hall, Blue Hill, Maine
- Washington Performing Arts Society
- American String Teachers Association Md/DC
- Levine School of Music
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Lya Stern. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.|