Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Louis of Bourbon-La Marche (Louis I, Count of Vendôme) (1376 – December 21, 1446, Tours), younger son of John I, Count of La Marche and Catherine de Vendôme, was Count of Vendôme from 1393 and Count of Castres from 1425 until his death.
He was a supporter of the duc d'Orléans, and obtained valuable posts at court, becoming Grand Chamberlain of France in 1408 and Grand Maître de France in 1413. As part of the Armagnac faction, he was at odds with the Burgundians, and was imprisoned by them twice, in 1407 and 1412. In 1414, he married Blanche (d. 1421), daughter of Hugh II, Count of Roucy; but he was captured the next year by the English at the Battle of Agincourt, and held by them for some time.
In 1424, he married Jeanne (d. 1468), daughter of Guy XIII, Count of Laval, at Rennes. Their children were:
- Catherine (b. 1425)
- Gabrielle (b. 1426)
- Jean VIII, Count of Vendôme (1428–1478)
He also had an illegitimate son, fathered with the Englishwoman Sybil Bostum during his captivity:
- John (c. 1420–1496), Bastard of Vendôme; Seigneur de Preaux
Faithful to the king, he subsequently joined Joan of Arc and many other French nobles at the defense of Orléans in 1429, commanded at the siege of Jargeau, and assisted in the coronation at Reims. He was later present at the Treaty of Arras (1435).
|Ancestors of Louis, Count of Vendôme|
- ↑ Medieval France: an encyclopedia, Ed. William W. Kibler, (Routledge, 1995), 138.
- ↑ Dussieux, Louis, Généalogie de la maison de Bourbon: de 1256 à 1871, 2nd Edition, (Lecoffre Fils et C, 1872), 23.
- ↑ Bingham, Denis, The Marriages of the Bourbons, Vol.1, (Chapman and Hall Limited:London, 1890), 49.
- ↑ Dussieux, 24.
- Medieval France: an encyclopedia, Ed. William W. Kibler, Routledge, 1995.
- Bingham, Denis, The Marriages of the Bourbons, Vol.1, Chapman and Hall Limited:London, 1890.
- Dussieux, Louis, Généalogie de la maison de Bourbon: de 1256 à 1871, 2nd Edition, Lecoffre Fils et C, 1872.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Louis, Count of Vendôme. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.|