Loudspeakers in mosques are generally used for Adhan or "call to prayer", or sometimes for Khutbah or sermons. External loudspeakers are generally mounted on tall minarets. Mosque loudspeakers are used for a call to prayer, five times a day. Loudspeakers, other than external ones, are sometimes also used inside the mosque to deliver sermons or for Prayer.
External loudspeakers are often kept at a very high volume, so that the sound is heard as far as 5km. In areas where more than one mosque is present, the loudspeaker sounds overlap one another, especially in the early morning when sounds are more clearly heard. This noise sometimes results in people of other religions migrating away from a mosque's area in order to avoid the noise, along with other factors.
There has been opposition to outdoor loudspeakers in western countries. In Cologne Mosque project in Germany the installation of loudspeakers are opposed and stopped. In Oxford, UK it was opposed saying that broadcasting using loudspeakers would turn the city into a Muslim ghetto. In Al-Islah Mosque Michigan, US, the installation of outdoor loudspeakers was opposed.
Loudspeakers are often misused for political purposes which was opposed by govt. authorities. Loudspeakers sometimes used to guide or incite the riots. Incidents reported in Acre, Israel, in Indonesia, near Lahore, Pakistan and Nandurbar, Maharashtra state, India. Pakistan even banned use of loudspeakers other than for "Call to Prayer" following a riot.
- ↑ "Adhan And Iqamat (Iqamah)". Hizmetbooks.org. http://www.hizmetbooks.org/Endless_Bliss_Fourth_Fascicle/Endless_Bliss_Fourth_Fascicle_Chapter_11.htm. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ Riyadh (Afp) (2009-04-25). "Variety News | Saudi cracks down on blaring mosque speakers". Alarabiya.net. http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2009/04/25/71421.html. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ "[IslamCity] Cairo's Dilemma Over Prayer Calls". Mail-archive.com. 2005-05-09. http://firstname.lastname@example.org/msg02720.html. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ "Hard-liners won battle for Bridgeview mosque :: IPT in the News :: The Investigative Project on Terrorism". Investigativeproject.org. http://www.investigativeproject.org/132/hard-liners-won-battle-for-bridgeview-mosque. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ 
- ↑ "Mosque's plan to broadcast call to prayer from loudspeaker 'will create Muslim ghetto' | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. 2008-01-14. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-504373/Mosques-plan-broadcast-prayer-loudspeaker-create-Muslim-ghetto.html. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ Leland, John (2004-05-05). "Call to Prayer in Michigan Causes Tension". NYTimes.com. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/05/national/05PRAY.html?ei=5007&en=664e9b700df4fdb9&ex=1399089600&partner=USERLAND&pagewanted=all&position=. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ "Anti-noise crusader for curbs on loudspeaker use in mosques". Thaindian.com. http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/enviornment/anti-noise-crusader-for-curbs-on-loudspeaker-use-in-mosques_10071355.html. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ "Michigan: Despite the outcry, mosque to proceed with loudspeaker call to prayer". Jihad Watch. http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/002037.php. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ "Mosques not to be used as political platforms". Saudiembassy.net. 2002-12-07. http://www.saudiembassy.net/archive/2002/press/page3.aspx. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ "Israel: Mosque loudspeakers used to rally Muslim rioters in Acre". Jihad Watch. http://www.jihadwatch.org/2008/10/israel-mosque-loudspeakers-used-to-rally-muslim-rioters-in-acre.html. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ "Indonesia: Urged on over mosque loudspeakers, Muslims go on rampage against students of Christian theological school to "drive out the unwanted neighbor"". Jihad Watch. http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/022061.php. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ "Muslim Mob Burns Down 100 Christian Homes in Pakistan « News of Persecution & Suffering « International Christian Concern". Persecution.org. 2009-07-01. http://www.persecution.org/suffering/newssummpopup.php?newscode=10386. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ "Mosques must get permission to install loudspeakers: Dy CM". Indianexpress.com. http://www.indianexpress.com/ie/daily/19991215/ina15052.html. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ↑ "Pakistan limits mosque loudspeakers to call to prayer. 1/11/01. ABC News Online". Abc.net.au. http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200111/s406180.htm. Retrieved 2010-01-15.