|John D. Faris|
|Born|| January 1951|
Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US
|Occupation||Catholic Priest, writer|
|Genres||Theology, Canon Law|
|Notable work(s)||Eastern Catholic Churches: Constitution and Governance|
Chorbishop John D. Faris, a native of Uniontown, Pennsylvania, was born in January 1951 and is a Maronite Catholic priest of the Eparchy of Saint Maron. In 1976, he was ordained to the priesthood and in 1991, was ordained a chorbishop of the Maronite Church.
Chorbishop Faris is the Deputy Secretary General of the Catholic Near East Welfare Association(CNEWA) and Vice President of the Pontifical Mission for Palestine, agencies of the Holy See providing pastoral and humanitarian support to the Eastern Churches and the churches in the Holy Land. He is also on the board of executives for the Wagger Foundation. Responsibilites include fundraising to support waggers in the homeland. >[http://www.cnewa.com/bulletin-speech-bodypg-us.aspx?bulletinID=988
After receiving a doctorate in canon law from the Pontifical Oriental Institute in Rome, he served as Chancellor and Vicar General of his Eparchy of St. Maron from 1980–1996. He served as Adjunct Professor at the Catholic University of America for ten years and served in the positions of President of the Canon Law Society of America and Secretary General of the Society for the Law of the Eastern Churches.
He serves as a Catholic representative on dialogues with the Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches and is a member of the Joint Working Group, a liaison body of the Catholic Church and the World Council of Churches.
- (Chair of CLSA Committee) Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches. Latin-English Edition—New English Translation. Washington, DC: Canon Law Society of America, 1995.
- Eastern Catholic Churches: Constitution and Governance. Brooklyn, NY: Saint Maron Publications, 1992.
- The Communion of Catholic Churches: Terminology and Ecclesiology . Brooklyn, NY: Pontifical Oriental Institute, 1985.
- In collaboration with Pospishil, V. J. The New Latin Code of Canon Law and Eastern Catholics. Brooklyn, NY: Diocese of Saint Maron, 1984.
- "Canonical Issues in the Pastoral Care of Eastern Catholics." Proceedings of the 53rd Annual Convention of the Canon Law Society of America, 154-64. Washington, DC: Canon Law Society of America, 1991.
- “A Church Comes of Age: The Syro-Malankara Major Archiepiscopal Church.” Published in Commemoration Book of Syro-Malankara Catholic Conference August, 2006.
- "Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches and Temporal Goods, The." Church Finance Handbook, Editors Kevin E. McKenna, Lawrence A. Di Nardo, and Joseph W. Pokusa, 27-43. Washington, DC: Canon Law Society of America, 1999.
- "The Codification and Revision of Eastern Canon Law." Studia Canonica 17 (1983): 449-85.
- "Eastern Churches in the Western World: Roots, Growth, Future." Catholic Near East 26, no. 6 (2000): 20-25.
- “Emerging From the Catacombs." Catholic Near East 24, no. 1 (1998).
- "Inter-Ritual Matters in the Revised Code of Canon Law." Studia Canonica 15 (1983): 239-59.
- "Interritual Matters in the Revised Code of Canon Law."50th International Congress of Canon Law, 821-23. Proceedings of the 50th International Congress of Canon Law: 1986.
- "One and Many Churches." Catholic Near East 24, no. 3 (1998): 16-21.
- "An Overview of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches." New Commentary on the Code of Canon Law, Editors John P. Beal, James A. Coriden, and Green Thomas J., 27-44. New York: Paulist Press, 2000.
- "A Pearl Anniversary." Catholic Near East 20, no. 6 (1994): 20-25.———. "Penal Law in the Catholic Church: A Comparative Overview." Folia Canonica 2 (1999): 53-93.
- "The Reception of Baptized Non-Catholics into Full Communion." Acta Symposii Internationalis Circa Codicem Canonum Ecclesiarum Orientalium Kaslik, 24-29 Aprilis 1995., 159-77. Kaslik, Lebanon: Université Saint-Espirit, 1996.
- “A Road Map for the Maronite Church.” The Maronite Voice
- "Synodal Governance in the Eastern Catholic Churches." Proceedings of the 49th Annual Convention of the Canon Law Society of America., 212-26. Washington DC: Canon Law Society of America, 1987.
- “Territory and the Eastern Catholic Experience in the United States.” Folia Canonica 5 (2002) 51-58.
- "Toward a Recognition of the Status of the Eastern Churches in the Catholic Communion of Churches." The Living Light 32 (1996): 50-57.
- "Upon This Rock." Catholic Near East 25, no. 6 (199): 6-11.
- “The Synod of Bishops and Council of Hierarchs in the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches” Studies in Church Law
- “Byzantines in Italy: A Microcosm of an Evolving Ecclesiology.” The Jurist 67 (2007) 89-108.
- "At Home Everywhere--A Reconsideration of the Territorium Proprium of the Patriarchal Churches." The Jurist 69 (2009) 5-30.
- “Ascription in a Church sui iuris.” Diccionario General de Derecho Canónico. University of Navarra.
- “Latin Church” Diccionario General de Derecho Canónico. University of Navarra.
- Book reviews
- “The Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches. Edited by Jose Chiramel and Kuriakose Bharanikulangara.” India: St. Thomas Academy for Research, 1992." Published in The Jurist 53:1 (1993): 216-19.
- "The Spirit of the Eastern Code. by George Nedungatt.” Rome: Centre for Indian and Inter-Religious Studies, 1993. Published in The Jurist 55 (1995): 407-9.
- “Two Codes in Comparison by Jobe Abbass With Foreword by Ivan Žužek.” Rome: Pontifical Oriental Institute, 1997. Published in Orientalia Christiana Periodica 65, no. 2 (1999): 473-77.
- “Laity and Church Temporalities—Appraisal of a Tradition by George Nedungatt, S.J.” (Bangalore, India: Dharmaram Publications, 2000). Published in Studia Canonica 35/2 (2001) 535-537.
- “Commento al Codice dei Canoni delle Chiese Orientali by Pio Vito Pinto. (Città del Vaticano: Librerria Editrice Vaticana, 2001). Published in Studia Canonica 36/1 (2002) 259-260.
- “Vested in Grace: Priesthood and Marriage in the Christian East by Joseph J. Allen (ed.)” Brookline, MA: Holy Cross Orthodx Press, 2001). Published in The Jurist 63/1 (2003) 200-202.
- “Comparative Sacramental Discipline in the CCEO and CIC, A Handbook for the Pastoral Care of Other Catholic Churches Sui Iuris by Francis J. Marini (ed.).” (Washington, DC: Canon Law Society of America, 2003). Published in Studia Canonica 38/1 (2004) 266-269.
- "Dall’Oronte al Tevere. Scritti in onore del cardinale Ignace Moussa I Daoud per il cinquantesimo di sacerdozio, by Gianpaolo Rigotti (ed.)." (Rome: Edizioni “Orientalia Christiana,” 2004).” Published in The Catholic Historical Review (April 2007) 440-442.
- “Le Chiese sui iuris. Criteri di Individuazione e Delimitatione by Luis Okulik (ed.).” (Venice:Studium Generale Marcianum, 2005). Published in The Jurist 68 (2008) 2: 595-597.
- Biographical Note in Eastern Catholic Churches: Constitution and Governance