Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Joanna Rogers Macy, Ph.D (sometimes listed as Joanna R. Macy or Joanna Marie Macy; born May 2, 1929), is a scholar of Buddhism, general systems theory, and deep ecology. Joanna Macy graduated from Wellesley College in 1950. She is a voice in movements for peace, justice, and a safe environment. She has created a theoretical framework for personal and social change, and a workshop methodology for its application. Her work addresses psychological and spiritual issues, Buddhist thought, and contemporary science. She is also part of the Great Turning initiative, which deals with the transformation from an industrial growth society to a more life-sustaining civilization. The many dimensions of her work are explored in her books, listed below.
Macy travels giving lectures, workshops, and trainings in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Widowed in January 2009, she lives in Berkeley, California, near her children and grandchildren. She serves as adjunct professor to three graduate schools in the San Francisco Bay Area: the Starr King School for the Ministry, the University of Creation Spirituality, and the California Institute of Integral Studies.
(Note: listed are the most recent publications. Original, sometimes unrevised, editions of these may exist, and may have different ISBNs.)
- Coming Back to Life : Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World; Joanna R. Macy, Molly Young Brown; New Society Publishers (1998); ISBN 0-86571-391-X
- Despair and Personal Power in the Nuclear Age; New Society Pub, (1983); ISBN 0-86571-031-7
- Dharma and Development: Religion as resource in the Sarvodaya self help movement; Kumarian Press revised ed (1985); ISBN 0-931816-53-X
- Mutual Causality in Buddhism and General Systems Theory: The Dharma of Natural System (Buddhist Studies Series); State University of New York Press (1991); ISBN 0-7914-0637-7
- Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God; poems by Rainer Maria Rilke, translated by Anita Barrows and Joanna Macy; Riverhead Books(1996); ISBN 1-59448-156-3
- Thinking Like a Mountain: Toward a Council of All Beings; Joanna Macy, John Seed, Pat Fleming, Arne Naess, Dailan Pugh; New Society Publishers (1988); ISBN 0-86571-133-X
- Widening Circles (memoir); New Society, 2000
- World as Lover, World as Self; Parallax Press (2005); ISBN 0-938077-27-9
- Joanna Macy's website on the work of Experiential Deep Ecology
- Gaia Foundation of Western Australia — an Australian organisation based on the principles of Deep Ecology.
- California Institute of Integral Studies
- Interview with Joanna Macy by John Malkin — published in ascent magazine, summer 2008
- The Healing on Mother Earth Project — a Sebastopol, Ca organisation based on the principles of deep ecology.
- "The Work that Reconnects" — Video series of a workshop with Joanna Macy.
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|