Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Jew Watch is a website that makes many negative claims and conspiracy theories about Jews, including allegations that Jews control the media and banking industries, accusations of Jewish involvement in terrorist groups and genocides, and Holocaust denial. The site describes itself as “The Internet's Largest Scholarly Collection of Articles on Jewish History" and as “a Not-For-Profit Library for private study, scholarship, or research.” The site is widely categorized as an antisemitic hate site.
The site became notorious in April 2004 when it emerged as the first result in a Google search for the word “Jew”. A scandal in 2006 involved solicitations for donations to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina being redirected to Jew Watch.
Jew Watch features an archive of writings, articles, videos, and links, organized in the form of a Web directory. The material is organized under topic headings such as Jewish Controlled Press, Jewish Entertainment, Jewish Banking & Financial Manipulations, Jewish-Zionist-Soviet Anti-American Spies, Jewish Communist Rulers & Killers, Jewish Terrorists, Zionist Occupied Governments, Jewish Communists, Jewish Atrocities, and so on.
Jew Watch claims that Communism as invented by Karl Marx was a Jewish plot to enslave the world, and that Jews control the world's financial systems and media. It also claims that the "All Anti-Christian Jewish Red Commissars" killed 100 million Christians in Russia from 1917-1945 under the orders of "Trotsky, the Jewish Commissar of Commissars". It also makes the suggestion that global Jewry is the driving force behind both global capitalism and communism. The site links to others which speculate that Jews have committed or are planning genocide against the Palestinian people; the site also promotes Holocaust denial, maintaining that the Holocaust either never happened or was greatly exaggerated.
Jew Watch also has a large list of names of celebrities and historical figures which it claims are Jewish or of Jewish descent—for example, it claims that individuals such as Joseph Stalin, Dwight David Eisenhower, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Winston Churchill were Jewish. The website also describes Christianity as a "Jewish Religion."
In addition, the website claims that the former Soviet Union, the United States, the former Soviet CIS states, Austria, Germany, the United Kingdom, Australia, and France are "Zionist Occupied Governments."
Jew Watch also links to a host of YouTube clips recorded by Weltner, in which he claims, among others, that Zionists planned and carried out the September 11 terrorist attacks, were responsible for the Armenian Genocide, are forcing the United States into a war with Iran, are responsible for stock market fluctuations, and so forth. Weltner also links to another website of his where he posted his "Relevations", among which God told him that "Hitler was a Saint," that the Jews were responsible for the Waco Siege, and that black Africans are "the abomination of Noah".
The increasing publicity has resulted in many news sources, weblogs, and general information sites to link to Jew Watch, and thus created a Google bomb. In May 2004, Steven Weinstock launched an online petition to remove Jew Watch from Google. "When performing a search for the word 'Jew' on Google, the first Web site listed is JewWatch.com, a site that has been notorious for being anti-Semitic," Weinstock wrote in a widely disseminated e-mail.
"In order for Google to remove this, they would need a petition of over 50,000 requests," Weinstock said. He set up an online petition site called RemoveJewWatch.com. Within a few days 2,000 signatures had been added to the list. By mid-2004 the site had collected over 125,000 signatures. RemoveJewWatch.com went offline, but a preserved version remains.
Google's response has been a sponsored link for the search term since 2004 which explains how Google results are automatically ranked by computer algorithms.
National Vanguard writer Kevin Strom claimed that Weinstock's efforts resulted in a "censor-fest" of Jew Watch and insisted "Our race deserves to live in freedom, and no trickster, thug, or con man can stop us from achieving that goal. We are going to win." John Goth, in the same publication, described his "disgust" as a "loyal White man" at "the recent Jewish attacks on free speech and particularly, on JewWatch.com."
When it transpired that the anti-Semitic website Jew Watch ranked highest in the search engine Google’s results for the search term “Jew”, a Remove Jew Watch campaign was established, to demand that Google remove the offending website from its listings. Fortunately for the principle of free speech, Google did not capitulate to this particular demand... Forced to act on its own initiative, Remove Jew Watch successfully used Googlebombing... Better still would have been either a proper contest of ideas between Jew Watch and Remove Jew Watch, or alternatively a decision that Jew Watch was beneath contempt and should simply be ignored. Not every crank and extremist warrants attention, even if they do occasionally manage to spoof search engine rankings.
During this time, Jew Watch's ranking fluctuated in the top three to five positions for the search term "Jew" on the American Google site, along with two Wikipedia articles for "Jew" and "Judaism". The website's position continues to fluctuate in search results: during early 2009, Jew Watch dropped below the top 50 positions for the search term "Jew" on Google but has made its way back to second place as of November 2009.
The Katrina controversy
St. Louis City Circuit Judge Julian L. Bush permanently barred Frank Weltner and his site InternetDonation.org from soliciting funds in Missouri for charitable purposes after it was revealed by State Attorney General Jay Nixon that Frank Weltner had set up multiple websites soliciting funds for Katrina victims and then redirected those wishing to donate to his site that collected money for Jew Watch. A press release from the Attorney General said: "Anyone who takes advantage of the generosity and compassion of his fellow citizens in an attempt to fund his hate-filled Web site should never again be in the position to solicit charitable funds from well-meaning Missourians".
- ↑ Antisemitic:
- "Racists of all beliefs can find materials to their liking on the Internet. [...] One such site, Jew Watch, contains articles and other writings on anti Semitic themes, with such titles as “World War Two Slave Labor Issues and Greedy Jewish Lawyers” and “The Rothschild Internationalist Zionist Banking One World Order Family”." Report of the High Commissioner for Human Rights on the use of the Internet for purposes of incitement to racial hatred, racist propaganda and xenophobia, and on ways of promoting international cooperation in this area. World Conference Against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance. Preparatory Committee Second session. Geneva, 21 May-1 June 2001. Item 6 of the provisional agenda. Review of Reports, Studies and Other Documentation for the Preparatory Committee and the World Conference. United Nations General Assembly. A/CONF.189/PC.2/12. 27 April 2001
- "He runs Jew Watch, a wildly anti-Semitic, 6-year-old Web site that carries archives of conspiracy theories about Jews." Radical Radio: Neo-Nazi broadcasting from St. Louis AM station, Southern Poverty Law Center, Fall 2004. Retrieved May 21, 2007.
- Becker, David (2004-04-07). "Google caught in Anti-Semitism flap". CNET. http://news.com.com/2100-1038_3-5186012.html. Retrieved 2006-04-09.
- Sullivan, Danny (2004-04-25). "Google In Controversy Over Top-Ranking For Anti-Jewish Site". Search Engine Watch. http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=3345071. Retrieved 2006-08-08.
- "In fact, the No. 1 result for the search entry "Jew" turns out to be www.jewwatch.com. The fanatically anti-Semitic hate site is ranked first in relevance of more than 1.72 million Web pages..." Joe Eskenazi. No. 1 Google result for ‘Jew’ is fanatical hate site — for now, j., March 19, 2004.
- "As previously reported, the anti-Semitic site Jew Watch used to be the first item returned from a Google search on the word "Jew," a result that attracted widespread criticism and several online protest campaigns." David Becker. Anti-Semitic site drops off Google, CNET, April 26, 2004. Retrieved May 21, 2007.
- "Money donated through multiple Web sites registered to Frank Weltner of St. Louis was redirected to a site that collected money for an anti-Semitic and racist organization, Nixon said... Nixon said Weltner registered at least 10 Internet domain names with Katrina-related themes, such as donatekatrina.com and katrinafamilies.com. The Web sites showed photos of neighborhoods in rubble and families in peril, along with a pitch to donate. Those who clicked on a link to donate were redirected to a central Web site, InternetDonations.org., the same collection point for individuals pledging donations to JewWatch.com." Nixon obtains permanent injuntion against Jewwatch.com operator who deceptively solicited Katrina donations, Attorney-General Jay Nixon press release, October 26, 2006. Retrieved May 21, 2007.
- "Jew Watch organizes its anti-Semitic materials much in the same way a popular Web directory might group more benign information." Poisoning the Web: Hatred Online - Don Black: White Pride World Wide, Anti-Defamation League. Retrieved May 21, 2007.
- "Google's review comes a couple weeks after the Anti-Defamation League and online petitioners expressed concern over an anti-Semitic Web site, Jew Watch, showing up among the top results for the search term 'Jew.'" Verne Kopytoff. Google revisits policy on hate sites, San Francisco Chronicle, April 23, 2004.
- "A New York real estate developer has launched an online petition to get an anti-Semitic site removed from Google's index after it came up as the first result when he did a search for the word 'Jew'." Online petition launched against anti-Semitic site, The Age, April 7, 2004.
- "So it’s ironic that an anti-Semitic website, Jewwatch.com, would find a host in Boca Raton. But it did." Hate Speech: Boca anti-Semitic website host tells site owner to “take his business elsewhere.”, Boca Raton News, January 5, 2006.
- "Although not mentioned in the Audit, two specific antisemitic web sites came to the attention of the Canadian Jewish community. Jew Watch, a vehemently antisemitic web site, was being listed by an Internet search engine under the 'Jewish Resources' section." 1998 Audit of Antisemitic Incidents, B'nai Brith Canada. Retrieved May 21, 2007.
- "In March, during a casual Web search, the 26-year-old real-estate investor accidentally found that Jew Watch, an anti-Semitic site, was the top Google result." John Brandon. Dropping the Bomb on Google, Wired News, May 11, 2004. Retrieved May 21, 2007.
- "...even when they appear on the internet, the antisemitic extremes of Jew-watch.com and the ethnic boosterism of Jewhoo.com seem relics of an archaic time." Vincent Brook. You Should See Yourself: Jewish Identity in Postmodern American Culture, Rutgers University Press, 2006, ISBN 0813538459, p. 232.
- "... Jew Watch (a hate site allegedly reporting Jewish monopoly, banking, and media control worldwide)." Eli M. Salzberger, Niva Elkin-Koren: Law, Economics and Cyberspace. The Effects of Cyberspace on the Economic Analysis of Law. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2004. ISBN 1840646691. p. 72
- "... an anti-Semitic website named 'Jew Watch.'" Experts Warn of Rapid Growth in On-Line Hate by Kirk Makin. Globe and Mail, September 13, 2006
- "Racist skinheads connect and reconnect online through a multitude of websites like Stormfront and Jew Watch, which are deep reservoirs of hate..." Barry Howard Minkin: Ten Great Lies That Threaten Western Civilization Ten Great Lies, 2007. ISBN 0979290406. p. 140
- ↑ "Radical Radio. Neo-Nazi broadcasting from St. Louis AM station". Southern Poverty Law Center, Fall 2004. http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=500. Retrieved 2006-08-08.
- ↑ Frank Weltner. "Jewish History - Frank Weltner - Personal Statement". Jew Watch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-history-jewwatch-frank-weltner-personal.html. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- ↑ Perlmutter, Dawn (Fall 2001 / Winter 2002). "Skandalon 2001: The Religious Practices of Modern Satanists and Terrorists". Anthropoetics (Los Angeles, CA: UCLA) 7 (2): 1–26. ISSN 1083-7264. OCLC 32874935. http://www.anthropoetics.ucla.edu/ap0702/skandalon.htm. Retrieved 2008-07-30. "[O]ne example is a white supremacist web site called Jew Watch"
- ↑ Frank Weltner. "Jewish Reference Documents - Talmud Folder". Jew Watch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-references-talmud-folder.html. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- ↑ Frank Weltner. "Jewish World Conspiracies". Jew Watch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-worldconspiracies-folder.html. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- ↑ Frank Weltner. "Jewish Controlled Press". Jew Watch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-controlledpress-folder.html. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- ↑ Frank Weltner. "Jewish Occupied Governments - USSR - Jews and Communism". Jew Watch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-occupiedgovernments-USSR.html#anchor19996. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- ↑ Frank Weltner. "Jewish Controlled Press - Reports by Historical Sources". Jew Watch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-controlledpress-reports.html#anchor988507. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- ↑ Frank Weltner. "Jewish Genocidal Murders of Others - Palestinian". Jew Watch. http://jewwatch.com/jew-genocide-palestinian.html. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- ↑ Frank Weltner. "Jewish Holocaust - Media Lies - Frauds - Hoaxes". JewWatch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-holocaust-lies-hoax-frauds-blackflagops-hoaxarchive.html. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- ↑ Frank Weltner. "Leaders - Joseph Stalin - Jews and Communism". Jew Watch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-leaders-stalin.html. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- ↑ Frank Weltner. "Leaders - Dwight David Eisenhower". Jew Watch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-leaders-eisenhower.html. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- ↑ Frank Weltner. "Leaders - Franklin Delano Roosevelt". Jew Watch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-leaders-roosevelt.html. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- ↑ Frank Weltner. "Leaders - Sir Winston Churchill". Jew Watch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-leaders-churchill.html. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- ↑ "Jewish Religions - Christianity". Jew Watch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-religions-christianity.html. Retrieved 2006-04-08.
- ↑ "Jewish Occupied Governments". Jew Watch. http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-occupiedgovernments-folder.html. Retrieved 2006-04-08.
- ↑ "The Relevations of Frank Weltner". Frank Weltner. http://www.theamericanbible.com/revelationsofweltner.html. Retrieved 2007-09-22.
- ↑ Brandon, John (2004-05-11). "Dropping the Bomb on Google". Wired. http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,63380,00.html. Retrieved 2007-01-01.
- ↑ "RemoveJewWatch.com". WhyNot Media. http://www.whynotmedia.com/removejewwatch.html. Retrieved 2007-01-01.
- ↑ "An explanation of our search results". Google. 2004. http://www.google.com/explanation.html. Retrieved 2007-01-01.
- ↑ Strom, Kevin (2004-04-24). "The Censorious Race". National Vanguard. http://www.nationalvanguard.org/story.php?id=2728. Retrieved 2006-04-08.
- ↑ Goth, John (2004-04-22). "The Jew Watch Saga Can Be Fun". National Vanguard. http://www.nationalvanguard.org/story.php?id=2712. Retrieved 2006-04-08.
- ↑ Sandy Starr: Understanding Hate Speech. Hate Speech on the Internet. Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe December 2004
- ↑ Google search for the word 'Jew': http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Jew&btnG=Google+Search
- ↑ 
- ↑ Missouri Sues To Stop Phony Katrina Relief Sites ConsumerAffairs. September 13, 2005
- ↑ "Nixon obtains permanent injunction against JewWatch.com operator who deceptively solicited Katrina donations". Attorney General, 2006. http://www.ago.mo.gov/newsreleases/2006/102606b.htm. Retrieved 2007-02-21.
- Jew Watch website
- Watching Jew Watch
- Official letter to Anti-Defamation League from Google's president
- Jew Watch, Google, and Search Engine Optimization by Seth Finkelstein