The jealousy of God involes God's jealousy for his glory and for the faithfulness of his people. Erik Thoennes explains that both are related, writing that "God is ultimately jealous for the faithfulness of his people because he is jealous for his own glory" (Godly Jealousy, p. 32, ephasis added). He goes on to say that "God's desire for glory drives his constant revelation of himself in the lives of his people. He wants to be known, and recognized for who he is, so that he will receive his deserved glory (p. 33).
|This article is a stub. You can help Religion Wiki by.|
- Exodus 20:5 You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,
- Exodus 34:14 for you shall worship no other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.
- Numbers 25:11 Phinehas the son of Eleazar, son of Aaron the priest, has turned back my wrath from the people of Israel, in that he was jealous with my jealousy among them, so that I did not consume the people of Israel in my jealousy.
- Numbers 25:13 and it shall be to him and to his descendants after him the covenant of a perpetual priesthood, because he was jealous for his God and made atonement for the people of Israel.
- Deuteronomy 4:24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.
- Deuteronomy 5:9 You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
- Deuteronomy 6:15 for the LORD your God in your midst is a jealous God, lest the anger of the LORD your God be kindled against you, and he destroy you from off the face of the earth.
- Deuteronomy 32:21 They have made me jealous with what is no god; they have provoked me to anger with their idols. So I will make them jealous with those who are no people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.
- Joshua 24:19 But Joshua said to the people, "You are not able to serve the LORD, for he is a holy God. He is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions or your sins.
- Isaiah 48:11 For my own sake, for my own sake, I do this. How can I let myself be defamed? I will not yield my glory to another.
- Ezekiel 36:6 Therefore prophesy concerning the land of Israel, and say to the mountains and hills, to the ravines and valleys, Thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I have spoken in my jealous wrath, because you have suffered the reproach of the nations.
- Ezekiel 39:25 Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Now I will restore the fortunes of Jacob and have mercy on the whole house of Israel, and I will be jealous for my holy name.
- Nahum 1:2 The LORD is a jealous and avenging God; the LORD is avenging and wrathful; the LORD takes vengeance on his adversaries and keeps wrath for his enemies.
- Godly Jealousy: A Theology Of God's Intolerant Love, by Erik Thoennes. Christian Focus Publications, 2005 (ISBN 184550027X)
- The Jealousy of God, by Mike Taylor