Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The ninth day of January.
- 1349: The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing bubonic plague, is rounded up and incinerated.
- 1431: Judges' investigations for the trial of Joan of Arc begin in Rouen, France, the seat of the English occupation government.
- 1806: Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson receives a state funeral and is interred in St Paul's Cathedral.
- 2005: Elections are held to replace Yasser Arafat as head of the Palestine Liberation Organization. He is succeeded by Rawhi Fattouh.
- 1554: Pope Gregory XV (d. 1623).
- 1902: Saint Josemaría Escrivá, Spanish Catholic priest and founder of Opus Dei (d. 1975).
- 1958: Mehmet Ali Ağca, Turkish attempted assassin of Pope John Paul II.
- Adrian of Canterbury
- Metropolitan Philip II of Moscow (1569)
- Theophan the Recluse
- Martyr Polyeuctus of Melitene in Armenia (259)
- Saint Eustratius the Wonderworker (821)
- Prophet Shemaiah (10th century BCE)
- Saint Peter of Sebaste, bishop in Armenia (391)
- Repose of Elder Jonah, founder of Holy Trinity Monastery in Kiev (1902)
|This page uses content from Wikia's Christian Knowledge Base Wiki. The original article was at January 9. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with the Religion-wiki, the text of the Christian Knowledge Base Wiki is available under the CC-BY-SA.|