|This biography of a living person does not cite any references or sources. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living people that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately. (October 2008) Find sources: ( – )|
James Likoudis is "a former College Instructor in History and Government with 20 years of teaching experience in public and private education." He is a "nationally known writer and lecturer on Catechetics, Sex Education and Liturgy, he has published many articles on these and other subjects of interest to the Catholic laity." "He was a co-founder and leader of 'Credo of Buffalo, a Chapter of Catholics United for the Faith (CUF)', a lay Catholic organization formed to promote the Truths and Doctrines of the Church. In 1977 he translated from the French Renee Casin's 'St. Thomas Aquinas, Orthodoxy, and Neo-Modernism in the Church', and is the author of several books dealing with Sex Education and the ecclesiology of the Eastern Orthodox churches."
In 1977 Likoudis translated Casin's St. Thomas Aquinas, Orthodoxy, and Neo-Modernism in the Church from French to English. Likoudis also has authored several books dealing with sex education, the Eastern Orthodox church, liturgical issues following the Second Vatican Council and articles and commentary about prominent Catholics.
Likoudis co-authored The Pope, the Council and the Mass (Christopher Publishing House), a defense of Pope Paul VI's Ordo Missae and the genuine liturgical reforms envisaged by the Second Vatican Council. L'Osservatore Romano noted in 1981: "This book has been sorely needed for well over a decade". The book was republished in 2006.
A convert to the Catholic Church in 1952, Likoudis has since devoted a great deal of his efforts to foster the reunion of the Eastern Orthodox churches with the Catholic Church. Likoudis' book, Ending the Byzantine Greek Schism (2nd revised edition, 1992) deals with the historical and theological issues raised by Eastern Orthodoxy.
Likoudis' latest work is The Divine Primacy of the Bishop of Rome and Modern Eastern Orthodoxy: Letters to a Greek Orthodox on the Unity of the Church, which refutes the objections to the Papacy made by Protestants and Eastern Orthodox. Likoudis' essay, To be Truly Orthodox is to be in Communion with Peter's See (1988), he gives an account of his personal journey to the Catholic Church.
Likoudis has lectured extensively throughout the English-speaking world on issues affecting education, family life, and the role of the laity in the Catholic Church. Likoudis has written extensively for The Wanderer (see below).
James Likoudis is the 2002 recipient of the Blessed Frederick Ozanam Award for Catholic Social Action, which was presented at the October 18, 2002 annual meeting of the Society for Catholic Social Scientists.
- A Grievous Distortion of the Catechism of the Catholic Church (Serviam newsletter, May/June 1993, April 1994)
- A Modern Dissenter's Theology of Sexuality: Moral Theologian Richard C. Sparks, CSP (Social Justice Review, May/June 2001)
- Abortion And Limbo (The Wanderer)
- Countering the Eclipse of Sin in Marriage Preparation (The Wanderer, May 25, 2006)
- Eastern Orthodoxy: Primacy and Reunion (The American Ecclesiastical Review, February 1966)
- Fr. William J. Bausch: His Chickens Come Home to Roost (The Wanderer, August 25, 2005)
- Honored or Ignored?: Truth and Meaning of Human Sexuality: Guidelines for Education Within The Family (Sex Education: The Basic Issues and Related Essays, January 31, 2001)
- Is 'Together for Life' Faithful to Magisterial Teaching on Contraception? (1990)
- The Marks Of The Church And Eastern Orthodoxy (Homiletic & Pastoral Review, March 2003)
- Msgr. Joseph M. Champlin as Liturgist (The Wanderer, December 28, 2006)
- On Monika the Modernist (Serviam newsletter, February - March 1994)
- The Catholic-Orthodox Dialogue: Light and Shadows (The Wanderer, February 3, 2005)
- The 'Church of the East' Sheds Light on the Roman Primacy (The Wanderer, September 21, 2006)
- The Modernized Jesus of the RENEW "Process" (The Christian Order, May 1986)
- The Pentecostalism Controversy (September 11, 1973)
- The Theology of Sexuality of a Modern Dissenter: Rev. Richard C. Sparks, CSP (May 1996)
- Trivialising Christ Our Lord (The Christian Order, May 1988)
- What They Are Saying about Mary to Destroy the Faith of Catholics (Serviam newsletter, CREDO, Buffalo, New York)
- What to Think of "Small Faith Communities" (CUF News, May/June/July 1996)
- Yet More on Monika the Modernist (The Wanderer, June 23, 1994)