The Islamic University of al-Madinah al-Munawarah (Arabic: الجامعة الإسلامية بالمدينة المنورة) was founded by the government of Saudi Arabia by a royal decree in the year 1961 AD (1381 AH) in the holy city of Medina.
The modern university was founded in 1961 as a school for higher education specializing in Islamic subjects. Approximately 80% of the 6,000 enrolled students are international students from all over the world. The university is culturally diverse and boasts almost all nationalities from across the globe.
University students may study Sharia, Qur'an , Dawah and Usul al-din, Hadith, and Arabic. The university offers Bachelor of Arts degrees and also Master's and Doctorate Degrees. There is also a one year diploma program that can be obtained after a student successfully graduates from the Bachelors program. Studies at the College of Sharia were the first to start when the university opened.
The school reviews applications yearly. The academic year starts in September and ends in June. The year consists of two separate semesters.
Students who do not know the Arabic language can study it in a two-year Arabic Institute program. If they qualify with an overall 80% average or better, they can then enter one of the university's colleges and focus on Islamic Studies.
- Abu Usamah - American-born imam at Green Lane Masjid in Birmingham, England
- Abu Ammaar Yasir Qadhi - author and AlMaghrib Institute Dean of Academic Affairs
- Muhammad Alshareef - Founder of AlMaghrib Institute
- Abdulbary Yahya - AlMaghrib Institute instructor
- Yaser Birjas - AlMaghrib Institute instructor
- Navaid Aziz - AlMaghrib Institute instructor
- Shpendim Nadzaku - AlMaghrib Institute instructor
- Ahsan Hanif - AlMaghrib Institute instructor
- Tawfique Chowdhury - Founder of AlKauthar Institute
- Bilal Ismail - AlKauthar Institute instructor
- Tariq Appleby - AlKauthar Institute instructor
- Ehsan Elahi Zaheer - scholar and author from Pakistan
- Muhammed Porča - Bosnian preacher
- Rabee Al-Madkhali - religious scholar
- Attique Ahmed Khan - politician from Jammu and Kashmir
- University website (English and Arabic)
- Student Administration-information for students and those who want to apply