Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| Part of the series on the|
- "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. (John 14:26, ESV)
In Christian theology the study of the Holy Spirit is called pneumatology, from two Greek words, pneuma meaning "wind," "breath," or "spirit" and logos meaning "word," or "logic." Generally this includes such topics as the personality of the Spirit, the deity of the Spirit, and the work of the Spirit as presented in the Bible.
The personhood of the Holy Spirit
It is important to establish the fact that the Holy Spirit is a person. He is often forgotten in the discussion of the Father and the Son, and yet plays a role within the Trinity and salvation that is fundamental to the Christian life. The Holy Spirit is a person who can be grieved (Eph 4:30), bear witness (1 John 5:7), and teach (John 14:26) among many other things.
- See main page: Personhood of the Holy Spirit
The deity of the Holy Spirit
Establishing the deity of the Holy Spirit is important, especially regarding the doctrine of the Trinity. Although Arianism taught that Jesus was created by the Father, the view also taught that the Son created the Spirit. It thus remains important to understand how the Holy Spirit is divine and the biblical evidence for this conclusion.
- See main page: Deity of the Holy Spirit
The roles of the Holy Spirit
The roles of the Holy Spirit are evident in both the Old and New Testaments. Most evident is his work in the life and ministry of Jesus. Today he is seen clearly in the work of salvation and sanctification of each believer.
- See main page: Roles of the Holy Spirit
Part of a series on
| Virgin birth · Crucifixion · Resurrection · Easter · Christian views of Jesus|
| Church · New Covenant · Apostles · Kingdom · Gospel · Timeline · Paul · Peter|
| Old Testament · New Testament · |
Books · Canon · Apocrypha
|Salvation · Baptism · Trinity · Father · Son · Holy Spirit · History of theology · Christology · Mariology · Apologetics|
|History and traditions|
|Early · Constantine · Councils · Creeds · Missions · Chrysostom · East-West Schism · Crusades · Reformation · Counter-Reformation|
| Preaching · Prayer · Ecumenism · Relation to other religions · Christian movements · Music · Liturgy · Calendar · Symbols · Art · Criticism|
Titles of the Holy Spirit
There are different names, or titles, used to describe the Holy Spirit in the Bible.
- See main page: Titles of the Holy Spirit
There are other topics indirectly related to the Holy Spirit. Although they do not deal directly with the person and work of the Holy Spirit (as above), most deal with the relationship of the Holy Spirit and the Church.
Gifts of the Spirit
- See main page: Gifts of the Spirit
Baptism and the Spirit
- See main page: Baptism of the Holy Spirit
Indwelling of the Holy Spirit
- See main page: Indwelling of the Holy Spirit
Illumination of the Holy Spirit
- See main page: Illumination of the Holy Spirit
Internal testimony of the Holy Spirit
- See main page: Internal testimony of the Holy Spirit
- Herrick, Greg, Th.M., Ph.D. "Pneumatology: The Holy Spirit," Bible.org, http://bible.org/page.asp?page_id=727 (accessed August 28, 2006)
- J. I. Packer, Keep in Step with the Spirit. Baker, 2005 (revised) ISBN 0801065585
- Graham Cole, He Who Gives Life: The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit. Foundations of Evangelical Theology. Crossway, 2007. ISBN 1581347928
- Gordon D. Fee, God's Empowering Presence: The Holy Spirit in the Letters of Paul. Hendrickson, 1994. ISBN 094357594X
- Sinclair B. Ferguson, The Holy Spirit. Contours of Christian Theology. InterVarsity Press, 1997. ISBN 0830815368
- John Owen, The Holy Spirit, 3 vols. Banner of Truth, 1966.
- Abraham Kuyper, The Work of the Holy Spirit. Translated by Henri de Vries. Cosimo Classics, 2007. ISBN 1602068380
- Wilf Hildebrandt, An Old Testament Theology of the Spirit of God. Hendrickson, 1995. ISBN 1565630513
- Leon Wood, The Holy Spirit in the Old Testament. Wipf & Stock, 1998. ISBN 1579101283
- James Hamilton, Jr. God's Indwelling Presence: The Holy Spirit in the Old And New Testaments. Broadman & Holman, 2006.
- Gary D. Badcock, Light of Truth and Fire of Love: A Theology of the Holy Spirit. Eerdmans, 1997. ISBN 0802842887
- Pneumatology: The Holy Spirit, by Greg Herrick (bible.org)
- Survey of Bible Doctrine: The Holy Spirit, by Sid Litke
- The Holy Spirit: Old Testament and Today, by R.C. Sproul
- Holy Spirit, Holy Ghost, Paraclete, Comforter
- The Person and Work of the Holy Ghost, from Luther's Small Catechism
- Question and Answers About the Holy Spirit (Issues Etc.)
- The Ministry of the Holy Spirit, by Don Matzat
- Were Old Covenant Believers Indwelt by the Holy Spirit? (PDF), by James Hamilton
- Basic Christianity - The Holy Spirit (Xenos Christian Fellowship)
- Doctrine of the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit, by Michael Welker
- Holy Spirit (Easton's Bible Dictionary)
- Pneumatology - The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit by Gary Gilley www.svchapel.org