Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Herman Bavinck (1854-1921), a Dutch Reformed theologian, was a contemporary of Abraham Kuyper and B. B. Warfield, both of whom he knew well. He graduated magna cum laude in 1880 from Leiden with a double major in Systematic Theology and Old Testament. His doctoral dissertation was on the concept of the State in Zwingli's theology. Bavinck taught at the Theological Seminary in Kampen, Holland - where he also pastored - before accepting the position of professor at the Free University of Amsterdam. He is best known for his magnum opus, Reformed Dogmatics (Gereformeerde Dogmatiek, in 4 volumes). Bavinck is one of the most balanced and solidly Reformed theologians Holland ever produced.
Bavinck introduced the notion of organic inspiration of the Scriptures and also developed a solution to the infra/supralapsarian conundrum. Although Bavinck passed away in 1921, he remains a powerful force in Reformed theology. Several important Reformed theologians owe large debts to his work, including Cornelius Van Til and Louis Berkhof.
- Reformed Dogmatics, vol. 1 Prolegomena. Baker Academic, 2003. ISBN 0801026326
- Reformed Dogmatics, vol. 2 God and Creation. Baker Academic, 2004. ISBN 0801026555
- Reformed Dogmatics, vol. 3 Sin And Salvation in Christ. Baker Academic, 2006. ISBN 0801026563
- Reformed Dogmatics, vol. 4: Holy Spirit, Church, and New Creation. Baker Academic, 2008. ISBN 0801026571
- Essays on Religion, Science, and Society. Baker Academic, 2008. ISBN 0801032415
- Saved by Grace: The Holy Spirit's Work in Calling and Regeneration. Reformation Heritage Books, 2008. ISBN 1601780524
- The Philosophy of Revelation. Wipf & Stock, 2003. ISBN 1592443923
- Doctrine of God. Banner of Truth, 1996. ISBN 0851512550
- Our Reasonable Faith: A Survey of Christian Doctrine. Wipf & Stock, 2002. ISBN 1592440231
- Richard Gaffin, God’s Word in Servant Form: Abraham Kuyper and Herman Bavinck and the Doctrine of Scripture. Reformed Academic Press, 2008. ISBN 9780980037005
- Eric D. Bristley, Guide to the Writings of Herman Bavinck. Reformation Heritage Books, 2008. ISBN 9781601780546
- The Law-Gospel Distinction and Preaching
- The Knowledge of God
- The Divine and Human Nature of Christ
- The Origin, Essence, and Purpose of Man
- Creation (Excerpts from Our Reasonable Faith)
- Supralapsarianism and Infralapsarianism
- The History of the Doctrine of Predestination
- Various other articles (HermanBavinck.com)