Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This article may not meet the general notability guideline. Please help to establish notability by adding reliable, secondary sources about the topic. If notability cannot be established, the article is likely to be merged, redirected, or deleted. (May 2009)|
The Godless Americans March on Washington (GAMOW) occurred in Washington, DC on November 2, 2002. The event was reported as including over two thousand atheists, freethinkers, agnostics and humanists in a mile-long parade down The Mall to rally for several causes, including:
Ellen Johnson, president of American Atheists and director of the Godless Americans March On Washington Task Force announced at the event the formation of the Godless Americans Political Action Committee.
Speakers at the event included:
- Michael Newdow, activist;
- Ed Buckner, Executive Director of the Council for Secular Humanism;
- Taslima Nasrin, Bangladesh feminist and dissident writer;
- Eddie Tabash, California attorney;
- Douglas Campbell, Green Party candidate for Governor of Michigan;
- August Brunsman, Secular Student Alliance founder;
- Michael Rivers, Director of American Atheists in Utah;
- Kathleen Johnson, Founder of the Military Association of Atheists & Freethinkers (MAAF), which provided security at the event;
- Norm Allen, from the African Americans for Humanism;
- Larry Darby, from the Alabama Atheists;
- Bobbie Kirkhart from the Atheist Alliance International;
- Margaret Downey from the Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia ;
- Jim Strayer, from the Atheists of Florida ;
- John Scalise, from the Great Lakes Humanists ;
- Harry Greenberger from the New Orleans Secular Humanists ; and
- "Reverend" Chris Harper of the fictitious Landover Baptist Church (also known as Americhrist Ltd.)