Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
(within the U.S.)
|Publisher||Council for Secular Humanism|
Free Inquiry is a bi-monthly journal of secular humanist opinion and commentary published by the Council for Secular Humanism, which is part of the Center for Inquiry. Philosopher Paul Kurtz is the editor-in-chief and Thomas W. Flynn the editor. Feature articles cover a wide range of topics from a freethinking perspective. Common themes are separation of church and state, science and religion, dissemination of freethought, and applied philosophy. Regular contributors include well-known scholars in the field of science and philosophy.
In 2006, the magazine's published a story about the four cartoons that originally appeared in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, which sparked violent worldwide Muslim protests. Kurtz, editor-in-chief of Free Inquiry said, "What is at stake is the precious right of freedom of expression". In 2006, Borders Group refused to carry the April-May issue of Free Inquiry in their Borders and Waldenbooks stores because of the cartoons. The reason given by Borders for their decision was not sensitivity to religion but fear of violence.
The story made national and international news and the implications of this self censorship was widely discussed by CBS News, the Washington Post  and the New York Times. The "blogosphere" widely condemned the decision of Borders to ban the magazine  and columnist Christopher Hitchens lamented the action in an article. News of the affair spread as widely as The Times of India.
Regular columnists include:
- Editor in Chief: Paul Kurtz
- Editor: Thomas W. Flynn
- Associate Editors: Norm R. Allen Jr., Nathan Bupp, Austin Dacey, D.J. Grothe, R. Joseph Hoffmann, David Koepsell, John R. Shook
- Managing Editor Deputy Editor: Andrea Szalanski
- ↑ "The bull fighter", City Newspaper (Rochester, NY), 2002-09-18, http://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/archives/2002/9/The+bull+fighter, retrieved 2008-04-16
- ↑ Borders, Waldenbooks Won't Carry Magazine, Carolyn Thompson, Associated Press Writer, March 29, 2006
- ↑ Two Chains Reject Magazine With Muhammad Cartoons, Associated Press, March 30, 2006
- ↑ Borders Blasts Back On Controversial Cartoons, AP, March 31, 2006
- ↑ Weiss, Michael (2006-03-31). "Calling 911 on 9/11". Slate.com. http://www.slate.com/id/2139129/. Retrieved 2007-12-14.
- ↑ Hitchens, Christopher (2007-06-25). "Look Forward to Anger". Slate.com. http://slate.com/id/2169020/. Retrieved 2007-12-14. "It's impossible to satisfy "Rage Boy" and his ilk. It's stupid to try."
- ↑ "Magazine with Prophet toons shunned". The Times of India. 2006-03-30. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1470320.cms. Retrieved 2007-12-14.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 8.7 8.8 8.9 "Free Inquiry Staff, Detailed Publication Information, and Guidelines For Authors". Free Inquiry. 2008. http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?section=fi&page=details. Retrieved 2008-05-17.